Marsh to replace injured Hussey in next three ODIs

January 18th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS  

Sydney, Jan 18 (IANS) Left-hand batsman Shaun Marsh will replace injured Michael Hussey in Australia’s squad for the next three One-day Internationals (ODI) against England. Hussey injured his hamstring during the first ODI in Melbourne which the home team won by six wickets. The two teams next meet in Hobart Jan 21.

Earlier in the day, Hussey was named in the Australian 15-man squad for the Cricket World Cup in February but team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said his participation hinges on a quick recovery.

“The injury appeared to be minor at the time, and soon after the game scans have since revealed that he has avulsed one of the hamstring tendons from the attachment point at inner side of his knee,” said Kountouris.

“Michael had a corrective surgery today. The recovery time and availability for the ICC World Cup will be dependent on his progress with the rehabilitation program in the coming weeks,”

Hussey’s replacement Marsh has represented Australia in 29 ODIs and last played against Sri Lanka in November.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |