Maradona hands Messi Argentina’s key number 10 jerseyMarch 29th, 2009 - 6:09 am ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, March 29 (DPA) Argentina coach Diego Maradona Saturday granted to superstar Lionel Messi the prestigious number 10 jersey that he once wore himself.
Maradona - nicknamed “El Diez” because he is for most the best player ever to wear that shirt - picked Barcelona striker Messi as one of his successors prior to his first competitive game as national team coach, against Venezuela in Buenos Aires.
In recent years, the talented midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme has worn the shirt, but he stepped down from the national team earlier this month over a spat with Maradona.
Messi used to wear the number 18 shirt while on duty with Argentina.
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Maradona brands Riquelme traitor - Jul 19, 2012
- Argentina holds down Messi: Maradona still better - Mar 24, 2010
- Messi always gives more than his best for national team: Zabaleta - Sep 01, 2011
- Argentina's Zanetti, Cambiasso, Gago to miss World Cup - May 12, 2010
- Argentina president wants to clone Messi, Maradona - Jun 11, 2010
- Messi set to captain Argentina against Greece - Jun 22, 2010
- Riquelme does not deserve to play at Flamengo: Coach - Jul 21, 2012
- Maradona says his successor Messi's performance will be like 'cherry on the cake' - Jun 12, 2010
- Delirious Kolkata welcomes cheerful Messi - Sep 01, 2011
- Ronaldo pleaded with me to join Corinthians: Riquelme - Jun 27, 2012
- A little Argentina in Kolkata - Aug 30, 2011
- Brazil fans turning Argentines courtesy Messi-magic - Sep 02, 2011
- Absent Messi hogs limelight at media meet - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: argentina, barcelona, best player, buenos aires, diego maradona, dpa, game, juan roman riquelme, key number, lionel, messi, midfielder, national team coach, number 18, spat, striker, successors, venezuela