Maoist fear forces no frills marriages in GayaApril 23rd, 2008 - 3:20 pm ICT by admin
Gaya, Apr 23 (ANI): The fear of Maoists in Gaya is forcing the locals to perform marriages, without any ostentation, in the courtyards of temples by merely exchanging garlands.
One practice has been to arrange grandiose marriage celebrations. People used to invite almost the entire neighbourhood during marriages.
But people in the Maoist infested regions of Bihar are forced to restrict the marriage celebrations to the courtyards of the temples.
“We are scared that the Maoists will spoil our celebrations. They have a tendency of taking away our belongings, snatching our valuables and hurting us.
They attack such huge gatherings,” said Yugal Singh, a local attending a marriage ceremony in a temple.
While the young couples are disappointed, the elderly consider it as a blessing in disguise during the present dearer times.
” The fear of Maoists is there and they do disrupt our celebrations and exert pressure on us to stop such celebrations,” said Raghunandan Sharma, another local participating in a marriage.
Another trend that has emerged is that people take part in mass marriages so that they stay in a group.
The Maoists say they are fighting for the rights of poor peasants and landless labourers. They routinely call for strikes, attack government property and target local politicians.
Their influence has been growing and now stretches across large parts of rural eastern, central and southern India. (ANI)
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Maoists abduct three villagers ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Bihar Police confirm terror threat to Dalai Lama event - Jan 07, 2012
- Security tightened in Bodhgaya following looming Maoist threat - Jan 19, 2011
- Maoists blow up school building in Bihar - Mar 27, 2011
- Japanese couple weds Hindu style in Bodh Gaya - Sep 24, 2010
- Two Maoists killed in Bihar encounter - Jun 03, 2010
- Supreme Court order will hit anti-Maoist drive: Chhattisgarh officers - Jul 05, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Police arrest four suspect Maoists in West Bengal - Jul 12, 2010
- Three Maoists arrested in Gaya - Oct 22, 2009
- Suspected Maoists attack road project office in Jharkhand - Jul 19, 2010
- Bihar villagers complain of harassment by police, Maoists - Feb 14, 2011
- Police being trained in latest techniques to fight Maoists: Chhattisgarh CM - Jun 03, 2010
- Narendra Modi slams central government over Maoist attacks - May 31, 2010
Tags: belongings, bihar, blessing in disguise, celebrations, courtyards, gatherings, government property, landless, locals, maoist, maoists, marriage ceremony, neighbourhood, ostentation, poor peasants, southern india, target, temples, valuables, young couples