ManU goalie 64 minutes away from setting a new goal less world recordFebruary 18th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 18 (ANI): Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is just 64 minutes away from setting a new world record for consecutive clean sheets in top flight league football.
Abel Resinos stint of 1,275 goalless minutes for Atletico Madrid was widely accepted as the best ever, a mark van der Sar will pass if he keep Fulham at for 64 minutes on Wednesday night.
The last player to score against Van der Sar in the league was Arsenals Samir Nasri, way back in November.
Since then United have gone on an unbeaten run that has seen them claw back Liverpool’’s lead and regain top spot.
Former United star Arthur Albiston hailed the ex-Juventus keepers achievement in breaking the English and British record as phenomenal.
Im sure Edwin will be the first to point out that United defend from the front, but what he has done is phenomenal, Sky News Online quoted Albiston, as saying.
I dont think Ill see this kind of run again in top flight football - in my lifetime anyway, he added.
Van der Sar, who faces his former team tonight, claimed the British Premiership shutout record when United beat West Bromwich Albion 5-0 at the end of January.
The previous holder was Chelseas Petr Cech in 2004-05 with 1025 minutes.
He is the Dutch national teams most capped player of all-time and one of the few footballers to have won the Champions League with two different teams - Ajax in 1995 and Manchester United in 2008.
United have secured 13 clean sheets in the Premier League since that defeat against Arsenal at the Emirates in November. (ANI)
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
- Ferguson expects Van der Sar to retire at end of season - Dec 26, 2010
- Rooney asks Van der Sar to put off retirement plans - Mar 14, 2011
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
- Flop Torres cost Chelsea 75K pounds a minute - Apr 14, 2011
- Liverpool keeper Reina ready to join Man U - Feb 08, 2011
- Man U will have only itself to blame for Premier League title loss: Van Der Sar - May 04, 2010
- Man U star Edwin Van Der Sar to hang up his gloves in May - Jan 28, 2011
- Alex Ferguson won't blame goalkeeper for draw - Oct 17, 2010
- Nasri predicts Arsenal will beat Manchester United to win Premier League title - Mar 05, 2011
- Fergie facing Man U keeper crisis - Apr 09, 2011
- Manchester United stay in hunt as Chelsea suffer setback - Dec 27, 2011
- Ferguson warns Man U players of summer axe - Apr 19, 2011
- Ferguson increases efforts to get David De Gea - Apr 19, 2011
- Manchester United win third straight Premier League title - May 17, 2009
Tags: arsenals, arthur albiston, atletico madrid, capped player, cech, clean sheets, edwin van der sar, flight football, footballers, former team, fulham, juventus, league football, london feb, manchester united goalkeeper, new world record, sky news, top flight, van der sar, west bromwich albion