Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying eventApril 6th, 2012 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Astana (Kazakhstan), April 6 (IANS) Asian Games silver medallist Manpreet Singh (91kg) Friday entered the quarterfinals of the Asian Olympic Qualifying Boxing Event here with a resounding victory over Mongolia’s Tulyek Yerbolat. The tournament is the last qualifying event for Indian boxers to book their tickets to London for the 2012 Olympic.
Manpreet floored his opponent Yerbolat with a crashing right cross followed by a huge uppercut which left the referee with no other option but to stop the bout in the very first round as that was the third count being administered to him.
Hence, on the decision of RSC (Referee Stops Contest) in the first round, the 23-year-old Indian was declared the winner. It took Manpreet just a minute and 46 seconds to get past the Mongolian national champion.
Manpreet will now meet Borbashev Chingis of Kyrgyzstan in the quarterfinals Sunday. The Kyrgyz boxer upset Rustam Tulaganov of Uzbekistan in the other pre-quarterfinal bout Friday.
Olympic Bronze medallist Vijender Singh (75kg) will fight in the pre-quarter final match Waez Ishak of Syria, who was a Pan-Arab Military Games gold medal winner in 2010.
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Suranjoy Sing will meet his old nemesis Nyambayar Tugstsogt of Mongolia in the 52kg weight division Saturday.
Youth Olympic Games 2010 silver medallist Shiva Thapa (56kg) will also be seen in action as he takes on Mohmmad Nooristani of Afghanistan in the pre-quarter finals.
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Nine Indian boxers in Asian Confederation Boxing - Aug 07, 2011
- Vijender in quarters of Olympic qualifier - Apr 06, 2012
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- President's Cup Boxing: Kanwar Preet enter semis, Vikas exits - May 04, 2012
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- World Boxing Championships: Manoj, Dinesh in prequarters - Oct 02, 2011
- Olympic boxing: India's Devendro marches into quarters (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
- Olympics: Super Saina wins bronze, Manoj Kumar loses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, asian games, bronze medallist, chingis, commonwealth games gold, final match, gold medal winner, gold medallist, indian boxers, ishak, manpreet singh, military games, national champion, olympic bronze, olympic games, olympic games 2010, quarterfinal, resounding victory, right cross, uppercut