Mandela likely to make appearance at the finalJuly 11th, 2010 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, July 11 (DPA) There is a strong possibility that national icon Nelson Mandela will make an appearance at Sunday’s World Cup final between Spain and the Netherlands at Soccer City, a source working for the tournament’s local organizing committee (LOC) said.
“It’s looking very good now,” the LOC employee DPA.
FIFA and the LOC have issued an open invitation to the frail 91- year-old former President, who had been expected to attend part of the opening game on June 11 in Soccer City but withdrew after his great grand-daughter was killed in a car crash that morning.
Football’s ruling body stated earlier Sunday that any decision on Mandela’s presence at the game would be decided by his family shortly before kick-off.
Mandela, who turns 92 a week after the final, has curtailed his public appearances in recent years, spending most of his time at home with family.
- No news on World Cup trophy presenter - Jul 07, 2010
- No word still on Mandela's presence during World Cup final - Jul 05, 2010
- Mandela's presence at World Cup finals uncertain - Jun 27, 2010
- Mandela arrives at World Cup final - Jul 12, 2010
- Mandela bring down curtain on historic World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Freeman, Theron among celebs to attend World Cup final - Jul 10, 2010
- Mandela will attend World Cup opening game - Jun 03, 2010
- Mandela's great-granddaughter killed in car crash - Jun 11, 2010
- Mandela's daughter, grandchildren attacked after his birthday party - Jul 22, 2010
- Thousands to honour Mandela on 92nd birthday by doing good - Jul 16, 2010
- Euphoric World Cup opening tinged with Mandela tragedy - Jun 11, 2010
- Historic Spain victory caps euphoric African World Cup (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2010
- Mandela still undecided about attending opening game - Jun 10, 2010
- Mandela will not attend World Cup opening ceremony (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- Mandela won't attend World Cup opening ceremony (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: appearance, car crash, dpa, fifa, former president, grand daughter, johannesburg, loc, local organizing committee, morning football, national icon, nelson mandela, netherlands, open invitation, presence, public appearances, soccer city, spain, time at home, world cup