Manchester United rout West Brom to go three points clearJanuary 28th, 2009 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 28 (DPA) Champions Manchester United stormed clear at the top of the English Premier League football tournament after they crushed 10-man West Bromwich Albion 5-0 at the Hawthorns.Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as United moved three points ahead of Liverpool and Tuesday also set a new record for minutes without conceding a goal. United now have 50 points, three better than Liverpool and Aston Villa, who won 1-0 at Portsmouth on Tuesday.
Champions United took a 22-minute lead at West Brom through Dimitar Berbatov and the match was effectively over when Paul Robinson was controversially sent off five minutes before the break.
The West Brom captain was sent off for a challenge on Park-Ji Sung but replays suggested it may have been a harsh decision.
Four minutes later, the match was well and truly over when West Brom goalkeeper Scott Carson dropped the ball at the feet of Carlos Tevez, who scored with ease.
Nemanja Vidic headed the third goal on the hour mark and Ronaldo scored twice to seal a comprehensive victory and leave West Brom still stuck at the bottom of the table.
The icing on the cake for United came when they overtook Chelsea’s run of 1,025 minutes without conceding a goal - setting a new Premier League record.
Emile Heskey scored on his debut for Villa to give them a 1-0 win at Portsmouth, moving them level with Liverpool.
Portsmouth had Nadir Balhadj sent off for a second booking 19 minutes from time.
Kenwyne Jones, who signed a new contract with Sunderland Tuesday, scored the only goal in his side’s 1-0 win over Fulham.
The three points moved Sunderland up to 11th place, two spots above Tottenham Hotspur, who gave themselves breathing space over the relegation zone with a 3-1 win over Stoke City.
Aaron Lennon, Jermain Defoe and Michael Dawson scored the goals to clinch victory for Harry Redknapp’s side.
- Manchester City draw in Premier League - Apr 01, 2012
- United humbled, Liverpool stumble, City ditch Hughes - Dec 20, 2009
- Drogba strikes to keep Chelsea dream alive - Mar 04, 2009
- Czech striker Baros retires from international football - Jun 22, 2012
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- Chelsea's title hopes suffer another blow - Feb 08, 2009
- Manchester United stay in hunt as Chelsea suffer setback - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Big Smiles' for Portugal after quarterfinal win: Ronaldo - Jun 22, 2012
- Manchester United maintain lead over Liverpool - Apr 12, 2009
- Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal post wins in English Premier League - Sep 20, 2009
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Liverpool back on top; West Brom keep survival hopes alive - May 10, 2009
- Chelsea fight back to stretch lead - Dec 29, 2009
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Rooney nets hat-trick as Manchester Utd cut gap on leaders - Nov 29, 2009
Tags: aaron lennon, aston villa, carlos tevez, dimitar berbatov, emile heskey, english premier league, english premier league football, football tournament, harry redknapp, hawthorns, jermain defoe, ji sung, london jan, michael dawson, nemanja, park ji sung, premier league football, relegation zone, scott carson, west bromwich albion