Man U’s Fergie could have signed French star Ribery for freeJune 17th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 17 (ANI): Manchester United coach Alex Ferguson could have signed French star Franck Ribery for nothing four years ago.Now, Ribery, who plays for Bayern Munich, commands a price that is as good, if not better than the 80-million pounds Manchester United will get for Portuguese winger Ronaldo, who moves to Real Madrid.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is also keen to snare 26-year-old Ribery.
German giants Bayern confirmed yesterday that their superstar French winger is the most wanted man in football.
United, European champions Barcelona, Chelsea and Madrid are all in the hunt for him.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge revealed the first three have all made formal bids, while Real have just made an official inquiry to ask for a price.
Ribery got his Scarface nickname from the 1983 Hollywood blockbuster starring Al Pacino.
The damage came as the result of an horrific car accident when he was only two, which left him needing hundreds of stitches in his face and forehead.
But his injuries have not stopped him now becoming the hottest property in football.
The five foot seven inch ace is the one man everyone seems to want.
It is an amazing turnaround, as a mere four years ago he seemed destined for the scrapheap.
A journeyman in his early career, Ribery had four clubs in as many seasons in France.
He made his name at lowly Metz and then opted for an ill-advised move to join Galatasaray in January 2005. Aged just 21, it seemed a huge talent would be lost to the Turkish League. Yet later that summer, Ribery broke his contract after going unpaid for four months.
It was then that both Sir Alex and Arsenal chief Arsene Wenger, another great admirer, missed their chance to snap him up for nothing. Ribery ended up at Marseille, from where he joined Bayern for a club record 18 million pounds a couple of years ago. (ANI)
- Bayern ready to double Ribery's salary - Jun 26, 2009
- Ribery starts on the bench against India - Jan 10, 2012
- Real Madrid favourites to sign on Franck Ribery - Jun 17, 2009
- Ferguson plotting to sign Ribery for 40 million pounds - Mar 28, 2010
- Manchester City set for 65-mn pounds Ribery swoop - Oct 10, 2009
- Watch out Europe, Bayern are back - Dec 09, 2009
- Excited to be back in India: Thomas Mueller - Dec 19, 2011
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea get tricky draw; Madrid, City in group of death - Aug 31, 2012
- Ronaldo wins libel payout from The Daily Telegraph - Nov 08, 2010
- Bayern Munich tell Ferguson he must give 'crazy' offer to bag Ribery - Jun 13, 2009
- Russian gas giant may sponsor Bayern Munich - Dec 23, 2011
- Javi Martinez joins German side Bayern Munich - Aug 30, 2012
- Bayern's Rummenigge denies Ribery rift with coach - Sep 03, 2009
- Ronaldo may move to Madrid as ManU set to get Ribery - Apr 05, 2009
Tags: alex ferguson, arsene wenger, bayern munich, coach alex, european champions, fergie, florentino perez, franck ribery, free london, french star, galatasaray, hollywood blockbuster, karl heinz rummenigge, madrid real, official inquiry, real madrid, scrapheap, sir alex, turkish league, wanted man