Man United were interested in signing me last year: RaulApril 23rd, 2011 - 6:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 23(ANI): Spanish striker Raul has said that Manchester United was a possible destination after he left Real Madrid last year before he moved to German club Schalke.
“There were a couple of possibilities and United was one, but the only person who knows just how close, is (Sir) Alex Ferguson. I never spoke to him personally, but there were contacts with United,” the Mirror quoted Raul, as saying.
The 33-year-old also revealed that he was interested in joining a British club.
“I love the footballing culture there, the respect for the game, the atmosphere, the intensity. I’ve been at Old Trafford, Arsenal, at Liverpool watching Fernando Morientes and it’s special,” Raul said.
“I fancied the idea. I wanted to try something different. But I’ve been able to experience that here,” he added.
United and Schalke will meet in the Champions League semi-final first leg at the Veltins-Arena on Tuesday. (ANI)
- Athletic Bilbao shock Schalke away from home - Mar 30, 2012
- Raul rejects contract extension - Apr 20, 2012
- Ferguson backs Man U's 'collective unit' to overcome 'Ronaldo' factor - Apr 30, 2011
- Del Bosque: Raul could go to Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
- Not worried about Arsenal, Chelsea, now we feel like champions: Fergie - Apr 24, 2011
- Ferguson rules out Beckham's Man U return - Dec 24, 2010
- 'Bad' game against Liverpool has left Man U in fight with Arsenal for Premier Legaue - Mar 10, 2011
- Fergie not to leave Man U unless reminded by owners of age - Apr 06, 2011
- Arsenal's '2004 Invincibles' won't happen again: Ferguson - Dec 13, 2010
- Ronaldo hopes to end his career at Madrid - Sep 07, 2011
- Fergie looking to land three top summer transfers - Mar 30, 2011
- Rooney's wonder 'scissor-kick' strike against Man City hailed as greatest goal ever - Feb 13, 2011
- Fergie has his plate full, can't take each game as it comes - May 04, 2011
- Neville tells Mourinho to forget coming to Man U - Mar 14, 2011
- Ferguson eyeing Rooney 'burst' ahead of important Premier League games - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: alex ferguson, arsenal, atmosphere, champions league, fernando morientes, game, german club, intensity, liverpool, london, man united, manchester united, mirror, possibilities, raul, sir alex ferguson, striker, veltins arena