Man U star Edwin Van Der Sar to hang up his gloves in MayJanuary 28th, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 28(ANI): Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin Van Der Sar has confirmed that he will hang up his gloves in May.
“It’s been coming for a while. After playing for so many years, you reach a point where you have to make a decision. There are a couple of things to consider - whether you still have an appetite for it and your family,” the Sun quoted Van Der Sar, as saying.
“You have to look at yourself also. You have to ask if you can bring that top level of performance that you need at United.”
“At the moment I am quite happy with my form and my achievements on the pitch. I just want to keep that on a high level. But you can’t play Superman into your 40s,” he added.
The 40-year-old also said that the decision to bring down the curtain at the end of the season was a joint one taken by him and United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
“It’s a mutual decision that this season was the last,” Van Der Sar said.
United’s goalkeeping coach Eric Steele had revealed that the club have a list of three possible replacements for Van der Sar - Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Amos and Anders Lindegaard. (ANI)
- Ferguson warns Man U players of summer axe - Apr 19, 2011
- Rooney asks Van der Sar to put off retirement plans - Mar 14, 2011
- Fergie facing Man U keeper crisis - Apr 09, 2011
- Fergie ready to offer Dutch keeper role in Man U management - Dec 10, 2010
- Van Der Sar agrees to new one-year contract to stay at Man U - Feb 21, 2010
- Man U keepers on the warpath over alleged lack of advice - Nov 06, 2009
- Ferguson expects Van der Sar to retire at end of season - Dec 26, 2010
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
- Van der Sar poised to play for another year at Manchester United - Dec 10, 2009
- Alex Ferguson won't blame goalkeeper for draw - Oct 17, 2010
- Liverpool keeper Reina ready to join Man U - Feb 08, 2011
- Fergie looking to land three top summer transfers - Mar 30, 2011
- Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar receives Dutch royal order - Jun 05, 2010
- Man U will have only itself to blame for Premier League title loss: Van Der Sar - May 04, 2010
- Van der Sar to stay with Man U for one more year - Dec 12, 2008
Tags: 40s, alex ferguson, appetite, coach eric, curtain, edwin van der sar, eric steele, gloves, goalkeeping coach, jan 28, london jan, manchester united goalkeeper, mutual decision, pitch, replacements, sir alex ferguson, sun, superman, tomasz kuszczak, van der sar