Man U says it is ready for a scrap with PortoApril 14th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.14 (ANI): Manchester United has warned Porto that they are ready for a scrap and won’t loosen their grip on the Champions League crown.
United go into tomorrow’s quarter-final second leg knowing no English side have beaten Porto at home in 12 attempts.
Alex Ferguson’s men were held to a 2-2 draw by the Portuguese side at Old Trafford last week.
Midfielder Michael Carrick insists the holders have a determination to win back-to-back Euro titles.
“We’re English and European champions and we don’t want to let either trophy go - we’re probably even more determined than we were last year to stay on top. There’s always a real determination for success and thankfully we’ve had that in recent years. But we want it again. We can beat anyone on our day, so we will go to Portugal with confidence and believing we can win,” The Sun quoted Carrick, as saying.The last time United went to Porto five years ago they lost 2-1 and then drew 1-1 at home as they were dumped by Jose Mourinho’s team in the first knockout stage.
Boss Ferguson said: “They are a different proposition now with an introduction of Brazilian and Argentine players into their team. This has given them both a flair and toughness that is very much in evidence when they play at home.” (ANI)
- Four English teams will reach Champions League quarterfinals: Ferguson - Feb 20, 2011
- City will be a thorn in our flesh: Ferguson - Jul 19, 2011
- Drogba stars as Chelsea march into champions league last 16 - Dec 07, 2011
- Mourinho confident of replacing Ferguson to be Man U's new boss - Apr 15, 2011
- Brilliant Messi, fighting Germans send England packing - Apr 08, 2010
- Fergie targets century of Champions League wins - Mar 15, 2011
- Mourinho: Liga is priority - Mar 15, 2012
- City go top after beating United - May 01, 2012
- Ferguson at risk of another FA rap over referee 'conspiracy' comment - May 02, 2011
- Jose Mourinho's men eye top spot in Champions League Group D - Nov 21, 2011
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012
- Fellaini goal stuns Manchester United - Aug 21, 2012
- Four-goal Bayern crush Juve; joy for Real, AC Milan, CSKA - Dec 09, 2009
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
Tags: alex ferguson, attempts, boss, champions league, confidence, european champions, flair, jose mourinho, knockout stage, last time, league crown, london, manchester united, michael carrick, porto, portugal, sun, toughness, trophy