Man U players warned not to join anti-Glazer protestMay 8th, 2010 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 8 (ANI): Keeping in mind plans of rebel Manchester United supporters to flood the Old Trafford stadium with the champions’ old colours to protest against the Glazer family’s ownership, players have been ordered not to pick up any such scarves hurled on the pitch after Sunday’s Premier League game.
Pressure group Manchester United Supporters’ Trust (MUST) announced on Friday that they would be handing out free “Glazers Out” kits containing a flag, whistle and card emblazoned with the word “GO”.
They blame the American family for saddling the club with huge debts and want fans to hold up the cards when TV cameras focus on them or if United score against Stoke City.
United players have been warned that they must not give the “Glazers Out” campaign publicity by donning anything green and gold, like ex-star David Beckham did when he returned with AC Milan earlier this year.
“The word has come down from on high that the lads should only pick up red and white scarves, hats and flags. The Beckham incident was quite embarrassing for the club and the last thing they want is for Wayne Rooney or Ryan Giggs to be seen in green and gold,” The Sun quoted a United source, as saying.
In an email to supporters, MUST said: “Win, lose or draw, let’s call time on the Glazers. The manager, the players, the supporters - we’re all part of one big Manchester United family. The Glazers are not part of our family. We need to make that clear!”
Club chief executive David Gill said last week he would rather see the stadium full of red and white scarves instead of green and gold. (ANI)
- Beckham backs Man U fans' campaign against club owners Glazer family - Mar 11, 2010
- Beckham left out of Britain's Olympic squad - Jun 28, 2012
- Man U fans' want Becks to join movement to oust owners - Mar 12, 2010
- Beckham backs Giggs as Britain Olympic team's skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- Ferguson asks Man U's green and gold protesters to support the team - Aug 15, 2010
- Treble hopeful Man U using mollah to pay owners' debts - Mar 23, 2011
- 'US-based Man U owners forced to pay debts without using club funds' - Nov 17, 2010
- Ferguson gets 100-mn pounds to buy new players - Dec 04, 2010
- Glazers have done their job well: Ferguson - Jul 29, 2010
- Qatar made a $2.4 billion bid on Manchester United - Feb 26, 2011
- Glazers snub 1.5 billion pound bid for Manchester United - May 07, 2010
- Red Knights' Manchester United takeover bid shelved - May 30, 2010
- Beckham likely to join Tottenham Hotspur on three-month deal - Jan 02, 2011
- Beckham branded a 'selfish pig' by Los Angeles Galaxy fan - Jan 03, 2011
- Qatari royal family to make fresh 1.5 billion pound bid for Man U - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: ac milan, call time, club chief, david beckham, david gill, glazer family, glazers, green and gold, lads, league game, manchester united supporters, old trafford stadium, premier league, pressure group, scarves, star david, tv cameras, united family, wayne rooney, whistle