Man U midfielder Park Ji-sung retires from international footballJanuary 29th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 29 (ANI): Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung has retired from international football after playing his 100th match in the Asian Cup semi-final defeat by Japan on Tuesday.
Park was not included in South Korea’s team for the 3-2 win over Uzbekistan in the third-place match in Qatar.
His international debut was in 2000 as part of the team which reached the World Cup semi-finals in 2002, the best performance by an Asian team in the competition.
South Korea coach Cho Kwang-rae said: “Two players of our team Park Ji-sung and Lee Young-pyo are retiring today from international football, they’ve done a remarkable job for the prosperity of Korean football.
“It would be better if I could retain both of them in the national team, but other players have done an excellent job.”
Fellow South Korean players threw both Park and Lee into the air in celebration, the BBC reports.
“They have been really great players for 10 years and I am really proud of them and they showed to the people all over the world that Korean football is getting better,” midfielder Ki Sung-yeung commented.
In 2009, Park became the first South Korean to play in a Champions League final when Manchester United lost to Barcelona. (ANI)
- Can South Korea recapture 2002 magic? (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- South Korea hoping for a rerun of 2002 (Team Profile) - Nov 30, 2009
- Uruguay beat South Korea 2-1 to reach quarter-finals (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Real Madrid's Granero set for QPR Move - Aug 31, 2012
- Goalscorers at football World Cup - Jun 13, 2010
- Greece vs South Korea is clash of giant-killers - Jun 11, 2010
- City go top after beating United - May 01, 2012
- Park Ji-Sung switches to Queen's Park Rangers - Jul 10, 2012
- South Korea draw with Nigeria to advance to last 16 (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Fergie praises Giggs for shattering Chelsea's Champions League dreams - Apr 13, 2011
- Man U on course to winning Premier League title: Park Ji Sung - Dec 25, 2010
- Lara, Yorke lift Man United to celebrity title - May 29, 2012
- Brazil wary of unknown North Koreans - Jun 14, 2010
- Saina enters fourth final at Indonesia Open, Kashyap loses (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India crushed 1-4 by South Korea - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: asian cup, asian team, bbc reports, best performance, champions league final, football london, international debut, international football, jan 29, ji sung, lee young pyo, london jan, manchester united, midfielder, park ji sung, rae, remarkable job, semi finals, south korea, south korean