Man U legend Charlton terms Ronaldo’s 80-mn pound price tag as vulgarJune 19th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 19 (ANI): Football great Bobby Charlton has branded the 80 million pound price tag for Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo as “vulgar”.
Spanish giants Real Madrid have agreed to pay the huge fee for Ronaldo in a deal that should be signed next week.
United legend and football director Charlton admitted it was a ridiculous amount of money. “It’s a lot of money, it’s crazy really. If you want to be in the race, you have to pay the price. It seems sometimes a little bit vulgar.”
“But, nevertheless, that is business, I’m afraid. We have responsibilities to our company and fans - and it was decided that Ronaldo could go. It’s an enormous fee. We will be better for it,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
Charlton insists there will be no hard feelings when Ronaldo cuts his ties with United and agrees his move to Real.
That could happen as early as this weekend as the Portuguese winger is due back from his American holiday. And Charlton admits only time will tell whether boss Alex Ferguson was right to let him go.
“Ronaldo always dreamed about playing for Real Madrid, so if he leaves us, it’s with our blessing. But you never know if you’ve made the right decision until the start of the season,” Charlton said. (ANI)
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Ronaldo wins libel payout from The Daily Telegraph - Nov 08, 2010
- Ronaldo hints at Real Madrid exit - Apr 29, 2010
- Why is Cristiano sad despite winning? - Sep 03, 2012
- Redknapp puts 80 million pound price-tag on Tottenham star Bale - Apr 05, 2011
- Real Madrid players back from Christmas vacation - Dec 30, 2011
- Ronaldo determined to become the best player in history - Dec 30, 2009
- Replacing `fantastic' Ronaldo impossible: Fergie - Aug 05, 2009
- Fergie says he would spend 60 m pounds only on Ronaldo - May 02, 2010
- Man U ready to sell Ronaldo to Real for 75m quid - Jun 05, 2009
- Man U lack 'Cristiano Ronaldo' factor: Ferguson - Apr 29, 2011
- Ronaldo's greed for more than 200,000 pound-a-week wages shocks Madrid bosses - Jun 19, 2009
- Manchester United wants 85 million pounds from Real Madrid for Ronaldo's transfer - Jun 11, 2009
- Nani accuses Ferguson of mismanaging his career - Nov 12, 2009
- Ronaldo hopes to end his career at Madrid - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: alex ferguson, american holiday, amount of money, bobby charlton, boss, cristiano ronaldo, football director, giants, little bit, london, manchester united, no hard feelings, price tag, real madrid, right decision, ronaldo, sun, ties, winger