Man U fans should stay clear of Rome hotspotsMay 20th, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 20 (ANI): Manchester United fans should steer clear of certain Rome hotspots when they visit the city for the Champions League final, the British Foreign Office has warned.
Thousands of fans are expected to travel without tickets
According to Sky News, over 30,000 Manchester United supporters are expected to arrive in Rome in time for the showdown with Barcelona on May 27.
The safety guidance was issued amid fears they could be targeted by gangs in the city.
Supporters were warned not to take the metro to the Piazzale Flaminio or to use one of the Eternal City’s bridges, the Ponte Duca D’Aosta.
The FCO also issued guidance to stay “as far away as possible” from the Campo dei Fiori square, where there has been trouble in previous years.
With estimates that up to 10,000 will travel without tickets, officials are concerned the sheer number of fans heading to Rome could lead to safety issues.
There will be an official meeting point at Villa Borghese and free transport to and from the Stadio Olimpico for official fans and between Villa Borghese and the stadium for independent fans.
Mayor Gianni Alemanno said: “Rome welcomes the British fans with open arms and we look forward to celebrating this great sporting festival together.” (ANI)
- Army of Man U fans ready to paint Rome red - May 26, 2009
- Two stabbed in violence ahead of Champions League final - May 27, 2009
- Vatican warns pilgrims of ticket scams ahead of John Paul II beatification - Apr 11, 2011
- Bodies of two mountain climbers found - Jul 16, 2012
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Rome takes down unpopular Christmas tree - Dec 07, 2011
- Rome mayor receives bullet through mail - Apr 14, 2011
- Police arrest 20 after Barcelona victory party riots (Lead) - May 28, 2009
- Penelope Cruz in Rome to work on Woody Allen film - Jul 08, 2011
- Lazio beat Novara 3-0 to consolidate position in Serie A - Dec 06, 2011
- Rome holds gay tennis tournament - Oct 01, 2010
- Britain advises nationals to leave Mali - Apr 01, 2012
- Swiss Busacca to referee in Champions League final - May 26, 2009
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- 900 tickets for Man City vs United semis stolen - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: british fans, british foreign office, campo dei fiori, champions league final, city supporters, duca, fco, free transport, gangs, gianni alemanno, manchester united supporters, meeting point, piazzale flaminio, previous years, safety guidance, safety issues, sheer number, sky news, stadio olimpico, villa borghese