Man U fans, a divided house over Fergie fielding weakened line-up in FA Cup semisApril 21st, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.21 (ANI): Shocked Manchester United fans are bitterly divided over Sir Alex Ferguson’s weakened line-up for the FA Cup semi-final where they were defeated by Everton.
According to a report in the Daily Star, thousands believe that the outcome might have been very different had United fielded anything approaching their strongest side for the Wembley clash when they went down on penalties.
Leaving out stars like Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs, Edwin van der Sar and Michael Carrick backfired for Sir Alex.
But he’s not the first manager to risk losing an FA Cup game by making other matches a higher priority.
At Manchester United this season Tottenham’s Harry Redknapp rested players for the FA Cup tie to keep them fresh for league battles.
Pro-Fergie United fans said they were willing to sacrifice one trophy in return for increasing their chances of winning other silverware.
Dennis Alderson, secretary of Westmorland Manchester United Supporters’ Club, backed Sir Alex’s decision even if it cost the chance of a historic clean sweep of five trophies.
But Pete Boyle, of United magazine redissue, said: “If United end up with nothing more than the Carling Cup some people will question Fergie’s decision.
Ian Stirling, of the Manchester United Supporters Trust, said: “I’m sure when Everton saw United’s team-sheet and Rooney and Ronaldo weren’t even on the bench it would have given them a lift.” (ANI)
- Fergie facing Man U keeper crisis - Apr 09, 2011
- Ferguson to resume bid for Everton star Jack Rodwell - Feb 19, 2011
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Ferguson gets 100-mn pounds to buy new players - Dec 04, 2010
- Fergie issues axe threat to `starry-eyed'' Man U players - Mar 04, 2009
- Fergie looking to land three top summer transfers - Mar 30, 2011
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Fergie, Man U board to fight Roo's two-match FA ban - Apr 05, 2011
- Spurs boss believes Man U can lift five titles - Mar 02, 2009
- Alex Ferguson won't blame goalkeeper for draw - Oct 17, 2010
- Fergie confident about Man U delivering against Olympique Marseille - Feb 23, 2011
- Ferguson increases efforts to get David De Gea - Apr 19, 2011
- Ferguson campaigning for ManU legend Giggs' knighthood - Sep 25, 2010
- Tottenham tried but failed to sign Man U's Ferdinand: Redknapp - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: alderson, alex ferguson, carling cup, clean sweep, cristiano ronaldo, cup game, cup semis, daily star, edwin van der sar, fa cup tie, harry redknapp, manchester united supporters, manchester united supporters club, pete boyle, redissue, ryan giggs, sir alex ferguson, star thousands, van der sar, westmorland