‘Man U can become first team to retain Champions League’April 29th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 29 (ANI): Coach Sir Alex Ferguson thinks Manchester United can become the first team to retain the Champions League trophy.
The United manager, whose team face Arsenal in the semi-finals of the competition tonight, says the ‘omens’ are good for his side to win the title in back to back years.
“You say to yourself it would be great if we could be the first do that [retain the Champions League trophy]. We are good at winning things for the first time and maybe that is a good omen for us,” the Daily Express quoted Ferguson, as saying.
No team has managed to retain the trophy since it changed from the European Cup. Milan, Ajax and Juventus were all beaten finalists in the mid 90s a year after becoming European champions, but no side have managed to go one better.
Ferguson admits that he is letting himself dream. “Talk is cheap, but faint heart never won fair lady and it’s something I would dearly love to do. Some might say I am tempting fate but at Old Trafford we have always set our sights high.
“No one is saying it will be easy, and we will certainly need to enjoy that little rub of luck and freedom from injury that can make you or break you,” he added.
Edwin van der Sar, United’s Dutch keeper, is one of the few players to have come close to retaining the trophy.
He won the Champions League with Ajax in 1995 and was also in goal as the Dutch side lost the final to Juventus on penalties 12 months later.
He believes United can go one better and hold onto their European crown. (ANI)
- Alex Ferguson won't blame goalkeeper for draw - Oct 17, 2010
- Fergie ready to offer Dutch keeper role in Man U management - Dec 10, 2010
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Barcelona the best team we've faced, says Ferguson - May 29, 2011
- City will be a thorn in our flesh: Ferguson - Jul 19, 2011
- Ferguson warns Man U players of summer axe - Apr 19, 2011
- Ferguson expects Van der Sar to retire at end of season - Dec 26, 2010
- Cole, Fortune tip Manchester United to win EPL - Apr 11, 2012
- Van Basten named new coach of SC Heerenveen - Feb 14, 2012
- Juventus looking for Van Persie - May 09, 2012
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
- Netherlands can repeat success of 1988, says Muhren - Jun 07, 2012
- Ferguson warns Man U against complacency - May 04, 2011
- Ferguson desperate to join Europe's ultra-elite - Apr 26, 2011
- Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar receives Dutch royal order - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: alex ferguson, champions league trophy, daily express, dream talk, dutch side, edwin van der sar, european champions, faint heart, fair lady, good omen, juventus, manchester united, mid 90s, old trafford, omens, semi finals, sir alex ferguson, team face, tempting fate, van der sar