Man reunites with message he sent in a bottle after 23 years!August 22nd, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 22 (ANI): A Scottish man, who threw a message in the bottle into the sea when he was 11 years old, has reunited with it 23 years later.
Donald Wylie, now aged 33, had thrown the bottle into the sea off Orkney in 1985 with a message asking its finder to pass it onto a boy of similar age.
The bottle was discovered by a team of volunteers cleaning up a beach at West Sands in St Andrews.
The group, which included students and staff from the University of St Andrews, were startled to find the message inside, and launched a search for the sender, which took them to Wylie still living in Orkney and working as a house builder.
He confirmed he was the sender and was invited to St Andrews to collect the bottle and see for himself where it eventually surfaced.
Wylie recalled how his mother encouraged him to throw hundreds of bottles into the sea off Sandside beach at Deerness, a tradition she continues at the same beach with her grandchildren.
“Over the years I”ve had a few replies, usually from Norway or Denmark, but never one from St Andrews and never one that’’s taken this long to wash up,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
“The message in a bottle was really quite a find and surprised us all, and we”re delighted to be able to reunite the owner with this piece of history, said Roddy Yarr, environment and energy manager for the University of St Andrews.
“It really is quite remarkable that the bottle should be found after all this time - who knows where it has travelled to in the last quarter of a century,” he added. (ANI)
- After 23 years, man gets message he sent in a bottle - Aug 22, 2008
- Skipper Finds Bottle with Message Nearly a Century Old - Aug 31, 2012
- Send back children, BJP and CPI-M tell Norway (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Russian teen finds a letter that was tossed into the Baltic Sea - Mar 30, 2011
- Prehistoric brainless, faceless fish found near Britain - Dec 29, 2011
- Morrissey unapologetic over Norway massacre comment - Jul 31, 2011
- Baltic Sea letter in a bottle gets a reply after 24 years! - Mar 30, 2011
- Sgt. Jon Varley: 'Deer saved a woman from an attacker' - Mar 01, 2012
- Driver hits a deer in rally motorcycle, yet drives on - Aug 10, 2012
- Even Stone Age homes were painted - Oct 31, 2010
- Family's message in a bottle makes trip across the Atlantic! - Apr 03, 2010
- Trinidad and Tobago honours 'nani' to mark Indian Arrival Day - Jun 12, 2012
- Hacker claims security flaw with Apple's iPhone - Aug 18, 2012
- Henrik Ibsen returns to Delhi colleges - Aug 17, 2012
- WWE Raw All Star Night: 'Piper's Pit' - Jun 14, 2011