Man City sets its sights on Argentinas MessiMarch 5th, 2009 - 4:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.5 (ANI): Manchester City is set to make a spectacular 100 million pound summer move for Argentinas Lionel Messi.
City owner Sulaiman Al Fahim, who six weeks ago missed out on Kaka, has personally sanctioned the world-record bid for the Barcelona striker.
Brazilian superstar Kaka turned down a 91 million pound switch to Eastlands to stay at AC Milan.
But Arab billionaire Al Fahim, who is a huge fan of Argentinian football, is determined not to lose out again and has made Messi his No 1 target.
Al Fahim said: Ive never worked with Maradona and I am not sure if he will be a good coach for Argentina.
But I want to work with Messi soon, because he makes me love Argentina again.
Messi, 21, has been inspirational for Barca this season, scoring 17 La Liga goals in 22 appearances to help them to the top of the table.
The Spanish giants are desperate to keep him. But money is no object for Al Fahim and the City chief is convinced he can use his financial muscle to persuade Messi to leave.
City were ready to offer Kaka 250,000 pounds a week to leave the San Siro and he came agonisingly close to joining before a late change of heart.
The major stumbling block in that deal was that City could not guarantee Champions League action every year. (ANI)
- Barca stay seven points behind Madrid - Feb 05, 2012
- Milito will add to the team's strikeforce: Maradona - May 24, 2010
- Man City's 96 mln pound deal to make Ibrahimovic world's highest-paid footballer - Aug 13, 2010
- Messi makes history with 50 goals in Spanish league - May 06, 2012
- Real Madrid retain 10-point lead over Barcelona - Feb 27, 2012
- Wonderful year for Messi crowned with another award - Dec 22, 2009
- Messi won't leave Barcelona for money - Nov 04, 2011
- Champions League: Milan draw with Barcelona, Bayern blank Marseille - Mar 29, 2012
- Messi set to captain Argentina against Greece - Jun 22, 2010
- Millionaire dreams of a club: Maradona president, Messi star - Mar 04, 2009
- Dutch star Ruud Gullit arrives in Kolkata - Jul 28, 2012
- Champions League: Xavi's winner seals top spot for Barcelona - Nov 24, 2011
- Loss to Osasuna impacts Barcelona's title chances - Feb 12, 2012
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- No praise enough for Messi: Guardiola - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: 100 million, ac milan, al fahim, argentinian football, billionaire, champions league, change of heart, city chief, financial muscle, giants, lionel messi, major stumbling block, man city, manchester city, maradona, san siro, six weeks, sulaiman, target, world record