Man City heading for Champions LeagueApril 26th, 2011 - 2:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 26 (ANI): Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is relieved for the time being as his team is heading for the Champions League, after striker Edin Dzeko hit his first Premier League goal and send City four points clear of Tottenham in the race for Europe’s top football.
The Bosnia striker handed his side a 1-0 victory against Blackburn at Ewood Park.
It gives Mancini vital breathing space, and the City chief knows it could be a crucial victory.
“It’s a very big win because at this stage of the season every game is difficult. Now it’s important to continue winning - we have another five left and will try to win each one,” The Sun quoted Mancini, as saying.
“Edin’s had some problems because he hadn’t been playing a lot in the past and hadn’t scored. He got a very important goal for us and deserved it. He’s a good striker and a good guy,” he added.
Dzeko, 25, broke his Premier League duck in the 10th attempt.
He said: “I’m very happy that this goal helped my team win the game. Now we have to look at the future. I think it is a new beginning for me. It’s football. Fernando Torres also scored a lot of goals for Liverpool and then he changed club. I’m happy for him scoring for Chelsea at the weekend because I know the pressure.”
Defeat left Rovers just one point above the drop zone. (ANI)
- Man City set to sign Edin Dzeko for 34 million pounds - Dec 30, 2010
- Get me Nasri and Aguero, says Mancini - Jul 16, 2011
- Chelsea must improve performance to maintain Premier League top spot: Ancelotti - Oct 31, 2010
- Aguero dreams of winning more EPL titles for Man City - May 10, 2012
- Man City told to offer 38 m pounds for Bosnian striker Dzeko - Dec 23, 2010
- Blackburn beat Arsenal 4-3 in EPL - Sep 17, 2011
- Man City ready to get Torres at right price - Jul 26, 2010
- Manchester City lose again, Mancini says team was unlucky - Nov 05, 2010
- Won't win title playing like that: Manicini - Sep 11, 2011
- Manchester City wins league title in thrilling fashion - May 14, 2012
- Manchester City agrees to pay 27 million pounds for Dzeko - Jan 03, 2011
- 'Exhausted' Tevez needs a break to get back to his best: Mancini - Mar 17, 2011
- Not certain about Tévez staying at Man City: Mancini - Feb 24, 2011
- Mancini blames 'nerves' for City's unimpressive Champions League debut - Sep 15, 2011
- Man City eyes second spot in Premier League - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: blackburn, bosnia, breathing space, champions league, chelsea, city boss, city chief, drop zone, edin, fernando torres, first premier, four points, league goal, liverpool, man city, manchester city, premier league, roberto mancini, tottenham, victory