Man City cannot be considered United’s major rivals: ScholesApril 15th, 2011 - 4:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 15 (ANI): Veteran footballer Paul Scholes has said that Manchester City cannot be considered United’s major rivals until they have won a trophy.
The Old Trafford veteran admits the money spent at Eastlands has made United up their game.
Since City started splashing the cash after Sheikh Mansour’s takeover, the clubs have met eight times with United winning six, drawing one and losing one.
They meet again tomorrow at Wembley in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday, The Sun reports.
Scholes said: “That’s the difference that maybe there is between the two teams. We have a belief that we can beat anybody, but if City have that, I’m not too sure.”
City believes their big spending has helped to narrow the gap on United, but Scholes believes it has made United even more determined to stay ahead.
“When they are fourth or fifth or wherever in the league, I don’t think they can be classed as a main rival. Our main rivals are obviously Arsenal and Chelsea. I think City is just a rival because of where they are from. Liverpool is the same,” he said.
Scholes grew up a United fan before becoming one of their greatest players. (ANI)
- Wenger confident of overtaking Arsenal in Premier League points standing - Apr 04, 2011
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- 'Bad' game against Liverpool has left Man U in fight with Arsenal for Premier Legaue - Mar 10, 2011
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Fergie confident about Man U delivering against Olympique Marseille - Feb 23, 2011
- Modric is Man U's prime summer target - Jan 22, 2012
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
- Man U will claim 19th title beating Chelsea, Arsenal: Fergie - Apr 30, 2011
- Man U legend Scholes not a 'fair' player, says Wenger - Aug 21, 2010
- Adebayor, Terry call for goal-line technology - Apr 16, 2012
- City will be a thorn in our flesh: Ferguson - Jul 19, 2011
- Fergie takes dig at Chelsea's easy start to Premier League season - Sep 24, 2010
- Ferguson at risk of another FA rap over referee 'conspiracy' comment - May 02, 2011
- Moneyed Manchester City get ultimate test against Chelsea - Dec 03, 2009
- Win against Man U will fire us to win title: Mancini - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: arsenal, belief that, drawing, eastlands, eight times, fa cup, gap, liverpool, london, man city, manchester city, old trafford, paul scholes, rivals, sheikh mansour, sun reports, takeover, trophy, veteran, wembley