Malinga named ICC ambassador for T20 World CupJune 8th, 2012 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) Friday unveiled Sri Lanka’s star pacer Lasith Malinga as the official ambassador for the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012.
Malinga, who plays for Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League (IPL), was selected as the event ambassador in recognition of his skills as a role model both on and off the field of play.
The cricketing icon is renowned and admired for his unique cricketing style and vibrancy and is one of the world’s best Twenty20 players.
Haroon Lorgat, ICC chief executive, commenting on the event’s new ambassador, said: “It is wonderful to have Lasith Malinga as the tournament ambassador for the ICC World Twenty20 to be held in Sri Lanka. Lasith is a special player and one of the most recognisable cricketers in the world.”
“Whenever he runs in to bowl with his distinctive action, there is a thrill in the game. I am sure he will add to the buzz that has already surfaced and crowds will flock to see players like Lasith represent their country in the ICC World Twenty20.”
Malinga will be the ‘face’ of the World Cup T20 Sri Lanka 2012 advertising campaign in the host nation and will promote the event globally.
The Sri Lankan pacer commenting on his new role said, “I am honoured to play a part in the first ICC World Twenty20 tournament to be hosted in Asia. As an ambassador, I hope to take the T20 message to all communities and passionate fans across the world.”
“I sincerely thank the ICC for giving Sri Lanka the opportunity to host an event of this magnitude and I invite all cricket fans to show their support and unite in the spirit of the game.”
- ICC increases participating teams for World Twenty20 - Apr 16, 2012
- Malinga retires from Test cricket, to play ODIs and Twenty20s - Apr 22, 2011
- ICC drops associate countries from 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- Tendulkar named brand ambassador for World Cup - Nov 11, 2010
- Malinga retires from Tests to prolong international career - Apr 22, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket appoints Lorgat as advisor - Jul 31, 2012
- Tendulkar named ICC's ambassador for 2011 World Cup - Nov 11, 2010
- Ten teams for next 50-over Cricket World Cup, 16 for Twenty20 - Feb 18, 2011
- Malinga says 'quick' money not behind decision to quit Test cricket - Apr 27, 2011
- Afridi set sights on World Twenty20 - Apr 15, 2011
- Cricket World Cup's mascot Stumpy unveiled - Aug 02, 2010
- 'Class players' make Sri Lanka one of the best Twenty20 teams: White - Oct 30, 2010
- Sangakkara banks on home advantage at World T20 - Jul 27, 2012
- Former Sri Lankan cricketer slams premier league critics - Aug 31, 2012
- Dalmiya accuses ICC of World Cup double standards - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: advertising campaign, chief executive, cricket fans, cricketers, crowds, host nation, icc world twenty20, indians, international cricket council, ipl, magnitude, new ambassador, New Delhi, pacer, passionate fans, premier league, role model, spirit of the game, sri lankan, t20 world cup