Malhotra calls Executive Board meeting to discuss IOC’s missivesJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 23 (IANS) Vijay Kumar Malhotra, acting president of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), Monday informed the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that his correspondence with it would be discussed at a meeting of the IOA Executive Board.
Malhotra has asked IOA secretary-general Randhir Singh to convene a meeting of the Executive Board as early as possible to discuss the correspondence, giving the mandatory 15-day notice to members.
“Indian Olympic Association has called the meeting of its Executives Board to discuss the letter received from the International Olympic Committee and other important matters,” Malhotra said in a statement.
Randhir Singh is busy with the elections in Punjab as his first cousin Amarendra Singh is leading the state Congress Party.
The factions supporting Malhotra and Randhir Singh continue to stick to their stands on the issue of show-cause notices to IOA president Suresh Kalmadi and joint secretary Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma, ex-president of Badminton Association of India (BAI). They were released last week after spending nine months in jail in corruption cases related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
While IOA vice-president Tarlochan Singh continue to insist that Randhir Singh hurriedly set up an Ethics Commission with the ulterior motive to undermine Kalmadi’s authority and that of other IOA office-bearers, Randhir loyalist R.K. Anand maintains that the show-cause letter issued to Kalmadi and others is still valid since it was sent out before it was disbanded and said that Malhotra was aware of the notice.
“I read today (Monday) news about remarks of certain IOA office bearers regarding mentioning of orders of ethics commission as fabricated. The orders passed by Ethics Commission were to your knowledge. It is at your instance the dispatch was delayed as you wanted the meeting of IOA general assembly to be over,” Anand said in a letter to Malhotra.
“I would like to inform the IOC about these developments as the rules were suggested by them … Let the IOC take such decision as advised by their Ethics Commission and the audacity of certain office bearers to pass comments on senior judges of Supreme Court (who are members of IOA Ethics Commission),” he said.
Tarlochan Singh wondered why the show-cause letter was kept under wraps and made public only last week, saying the IOA was not aware of the letter. How could it be issued to the president without the general house’s knowledge, he asked.
“Why the letters were not placed before the Executive Board and the Annual General meetings Dec 15 when the decision to disband the Ethics Committee was taken and a new Ethics Committee was formally constituted,” Tarlochan told IANS.
“In any case, how could an Ethics Commission take a decision when the rules were still being framed? In fact, the action of the people who sent out the show-cause letters should be taken up by the Committee,” he said.
The Executive Board meeting will also discuss how the showcause notice to Kalmadi was leaked to the media.
Kalmadi, former chairman of the Commonwealth Games organising committee, and Verma, ex-director general of the organising committee, were released on bail Thursday after nine months in jail in corruption cases related to the Commonwealth Games. Bhanot was released Saturday.
After being released, Kalmadi has asked Malhotra to continue in the post since he won’t be available to represent IOA for a long time.
- IOA bickering out in the open - Jan 22, 2012
- 'IOA unaware of Ethics Commission showcause notice' - Jan 24, 2012
- Bhanot attends first IOA meeting after release from jail - Jun 13, 2012
- Kalmadi to stay away from IOA, Malhotra acting chief - Mar 02, 2012
- Sports ministry wants Kalmadi's London visit aborted - Jul 13, 2012
- Malhotra officiating IOA president in Kalmadi's absence - Apr 26, 2011
- IOA executive board to meet May 24 - Apr 28, 2011
- Kalmadi has not been removed: Malhotra - Apr 27, 2011
- Kalmadi in no mood to resign as IOA president - Jan 20, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Sports ministry and IOA turf war intensifies (Round Up) - May 05, 2010
- Kalmadi welcome to resume as IOA president, says Tarlochan - Jan 19, 2012
- IOA rejects ministry guidelines on tenure, age-limit - May 18, 2010
- PM assures IOA to look into sports ministry's order - May 05, 2010
- IOA officials lambast Maken for seeking Kalmadi's removal - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, acting president, anand, badminton association, congress party, corruption cases, ethics commission, factions, first cousin, indian olympic association, international olympic committee, ioa, ioc, lalit bhanot, missives, monday news, randhir singh, state congress, ulterior motive, vijay kumar