Malaysia’s pregnant shooter competing at OlympicsJuly 28th, 2012 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Malaysia’s Nur Suryani Mohammed Taibi, an eight-month pregnant markswoman, will be competing at the London Olympics in the 10-metre air rifle Saturday.
“Competing at London 2012 is one of the most memorable things I will do,” Taibi was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“I will breathe in and breathe out and try to calm myself down and talk to baby ‘Behave yourself and help Mummy to shoot’. And luckily she understands. She always understands.”
Her training methods have not changed and her balance has not been affected too much. When asked if the weight of the baby affected her stability in the air rifle competition, Taibi said it wouldn’t.
“She always responds and is quiet. It must be the baby’s instinct. I hope to give the best performance that I can.”
Taibi said she was aware she could get into labour any moment.
“If I win a medal, I will see this as yours, as you helped Mummy so much,” Taibi said of the baby. “Maybe you give me more strength, more stability and more confidence.”
Taibi is ranked 47th in the world and won two gold medals at the Southeast Asian Games in 10-metre air rifle and 50-metre rifle in November. She finished fifth in 10-metre rifle at the Asian Championships in January to earn a spot in the Olympic team.
- Olympic shooter depending on unborn baby to win - Jul 27, 2012
- Chinese shooter Yi wins first gold of London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Love match on the beach (Olympic diary) - Aug 06, 2012
- PM congratulates Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Gagan's father says more to come - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG shooting: India win gold, silver and bronze (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG shooting: Men get two more gold, women bronze (Roundup) - Oct 09, 2010
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang to take stance amid high expectations - Aug 02, 2012
- Asian Games shooting: India's rifle shooters miss gold by a point (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- You make us proud: Sachin lavishes praise on Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: air rifle, asian championships, best performance, confidence, gold medals, instinct, labour, london 2012, london olympics, mohammed, olympic team, olympics, shooter, southeast asian games, suryani, xinhua