Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi’s London tripJuly 15th, 2012 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) Union Sports Minister Sunday reiterated that sacked Commonwealth Games chief Suresh Kalmadi, who is facing graft charges, should not attend the London Olympics and asked the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) raise the issue with the international athletics body (IAAF) and International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Maken asserted Kalmadi must not go to London unless he was cleared of the corruption charges against him.
“I have asked the IOA to speak to the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federation) and IOC and explain them the fact Kalmadi is facing serious corruption charges. He will not be part of any official delegation from India whether it is the IOA or the sports ministry,” Maken told reporters here a day after Kalmadi said that he had every right to go to the Olympics as he was not proved guilty of the charges in connection with the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Saturday, Kalmadi had lashed out at Maken for objecting to his London trip when he was invited by the IAAF to attend a meeting as its council member. The tainted sports administrator went on to the extent of saying that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should ask for Maken’s resignation following his comments against him.
Reacting to Kalmadi’s statement, Maken said: “Kalmadi is someone who is facing serious charges of corruption by the CBI and has also been suspended by Congress Party. He has no morale right to ask for my resignation.”
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- I Have every right to go to Olympics: Kalmadi - Jul 14, 2012
- Sports ministry wants Kalmadi's London visit aborted - Jul 13, 2012
- Court to decide Wednesday on Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Maken lauds court's decision on Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Never had plans to attend opening ceremony: Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Kalmadi eyes London trip during Olympics - Jul 12, 2012
- Sports ministry uncomfortable with Kalmadi back in IOA: Maken - Jan 24, 2012
- Kalmadi to stay away from IOA, Malhotra acting chief - Mar 02, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court to decide Wednesday on Kalmadi's London visit - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, aborting, cbi, congress party, corruption charges, council member, graft charges, iaaf international association, indian olympic association, international olympic committee, london olympics, london trip, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sports administrator, sports ministry, suresh kalmadi, union sports