Majewski defends Olympic shot put titleAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:34 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Poland’s Tomasz Majewski retained his Olympic shot put title Friday, snatching gold by just three centimeters with a throw of 21.89 meters.
Majewski, 30, had led by an even narrower 1-centimeter margin over Germany’s world champion David Storl, but extended it to three with his final throw.
“It was very close - millimeters,” Majewski said. “It always very hard when you have great guys like these.”
Storl, who threw 21.86 for silver, said the strength of the competition took him by surprise.
“I can’t believe it. Last year I was well matched, but the competition this year was tough. I expected they would be good, but didn’t realise just how good.”
Veteran U.S. athlete Reese Hoffa, 34, took the bronze with a throw of 21.23 meters.
“I cannot tell you how hard it was to finally get a medal,” said Hoffa, who took world championship gold in Moscow in 2006.
“To get a medal in London is awesome. This might be my last Olympic Games.”Majewski gold was Poland’s second of the Games, and comes an hour after Adrian Zielinski’s first place in weightlifting.
Majewski becomes the first man since to retain the shot put title since America’s Parry O’Brien 56 years ago.
- Olympic athletics: Beijing Olympic winners retain gold (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic freestyle wrestling: Japan's Icho wins 3rd gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Ethiopia's Dibaba retains 10,000m Olympic title - Aug 04, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Farah adds 5000m title to 10000m gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic javelin: Spotakova wins gold, retains title - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic pole vault: France's Lavillenie soars to gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: US teen prodigy claims gold in 800m freestyle - Aug 04, 2012