Mahindra United beat Chirag United 2-0 in I-LeagueFebruary 1st, 2009 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 1 (IANS) Mumbai’s Mahindra United delivered twin blows in the later half to prevail 2-0 over Chirag United in an I-League match here Sunday.Steven Dias and Edeh Chidi found the target for the winners, who now occupy the eighth spot with 15 points from 13 games.
After an unproductive first half, Mahindra went into the lead in the 51st minute as Dias netted a fine free kick from the left of the Chirag box. The power-packed shot went over the wall, dipped before the goal and went in just under the crossbar, giving no chance to goalkeeper Somnath Khanra.
The visitors doubled the lead 20 minutes later, when Chidi got hold of the ball from the midfield, ran a solo, and sped past two defenders before cutting into the box and letting loose a left footer. But Khanra fisted it back, and again brought up a similar save to an Izumi Arata rebound. However, Mahindra were third time lucky, as Chidih directed the ball into the goal with a left footer.
The lacklustre match saw the two rivals play a slow, game before vacant stands at the Salt Lake Stadium.
For Mahindra, Dias and midfielder Douhou Sey d Tierre put up a good show.
On the other hand, none of the Chirag players were impressive, with striker Muritala Ali missing an easy chance.
A minute after the hour mark, veteran medio Sashthi Duley passed on to Muritala inside the box, but the latter failed to connect. Benson Debdas then managed a shot, but Lamine Tamba flung himself onto the ground to save the situation.
Chirag, hovering in the relegation zone, are in the 10th slot with 13 points from as many games.
- I-League: Pune rout Chirag Kerala - Apr 01, 2012
- Sesa Goa in Durand Cup - Aug 27, 2012
- I-League: Pune FC beat Chirag United 3-1 - Nov 02, 2011
- Salgaocar in Federation Cup final - Sep 26, 2011
- Pune FC face test of belief against Lajong - Jan 27, 2012
- Mahindra United beat Dempo 3-1 in I-League - Jan 19, 2009
- Salgaocar ride past HAL 4-0, Pailan beat Mumbai FC 2-1 - Sep 21, 2011
- Mohun Bagan beat Mahindra to make 27th Durand Cup final - Sep 20, 2009
- India unimpressive, lucky to get a point (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- Chirag, Sporting finish 2-2 - Mar 08, 2009
- Chirag United challenge for Air India - Feb 11, 2012
- Sporting Clube beat Salgaocar 4-2 in I-League - Nov 05, 2011
- Chirag United held by Indian Arrows in I-League - Feb 11, 2011
- Sporting Clube wary of Nigerian striker Chidi - Feb 11, 2012
- Md.Sporting, Air India win inaugural ties in IFA Shield - Aug 30, 2009
Tags: benson, chidi, crossbar, douhou, duley, free kick, izumi arata, kolkata, left footer, mahindra united, midfield, midfielder, rebound, relegation zone, sey, slow game, somnath, tamba, target, third time lucky