Mahindra Racing enters Italian Championship with Indian riderDecember 1st, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) Mahindra Racing, India’s only team in MotoGP, Thursday entered the Italian Motor Racing Championship with Indian rider Sarath Kumar in the 125 cc class.
The 19-year-old Sarath was the 2010 national champion in the 165CC expert class and the 2008 national champion in the 130cc 4-stroke novice class.
Sharath’s team mate would be Italian Riccardo Moretti, who was also the 2009 champion in the 125cc class.
Mufaddal Choonia, team principal, Mahindra Racing, said it was a conscious decision keeping in mind the growing riding talent in India.
“Some of the best names in the World MotoGP championship like Valentino Rossi, Giacomo Agostini, Marco Melandri have been Italian Championship winners. Riding in a championship with such high standards of competition would be a great opportunity for Sarath. This will provide him with the right opportunity to hone his skills and compete at the international level with some of the finest emerging talent in motorcycle racing,” he said.
The Italian Road-Racing Championship is the leading national track competition in Italy and a launch pad for Italy’s best young motorcyclists as they head towards the international arena. It is staged on the country’s best racetracks from March to October over six weekends and eight rounds.
- Mahindra Racing felicitates Indian rider Sarath Kumar - Apr 23, 2012
- MotoGP still a distant dream for Indian riders: Mahindra Racing - Nov 15, 2011
- Motorsports: Moretti scores for Mahindra Racing - Jun 24, 2012
- Mahindra's Moretti wins second race of Italian Championships - Apr 09, 2012
- Mahindra Racing join hands with Swiss firm - Aug 24, 2012
- Mahindra Racing triumphs in Italian Championship - Mar 26, 2012
- Max Biaggi hints at retirement - Aug 23, 2012
- Close races likely in National Motorcycle meet - Jun 01, 2012
- Double for Sarath Kumar - Sep 09, 2012
- Moto GP rider Simoncelli dies after horrific crash at Sepang (Lead) - Oct 23, 2011
- India's first Moto GP rider Sarath to get financial help - Jul 04, 2011
- Motorsports: Sharath scripts history for Mahindra Racing - Apr 30, 2012
- Mahindra to relaunch Stallio motorcycle - Jul 04, 2011
- Top honours for Rajini in National Motorcycle Championship - Oct 02, 2011
- Japanese rider Tomizawa dies at San Marino race - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: 125cc class, agostini marco, championship winners, conscious decision, emerging talent, giacomo agostini, international arena, italian championship, launch pad, marco melandri, motogp, motorcycle racing, motorcyclists, national champion, novice class, riccardo moretti, sarath kumar, team mate, track competition, valentino rossi