Mahesh Gawli retires from international footballDecember 26th, 2011 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 26 (IANS) India defender Mahesh Gawli Monday announced his retirement from international football after a career lasting more than a decade. The Goan, however, will continue to play for his local club Dempo.
Gawli, who represented India in 82 games, informed about his decision to the All India Football Federation (AIFF) in a letter.
“It is delightful and so appropriate to have a perfect farewell to my international career after winning the 2011 SAFF Championship,” the 31-year-old wrote.
Gawli was part of the team that won seven titles, including the 2008 AFC Challenge Cup and Nehru Cup, in 2007 and 2009.
He captained India in a one-off match against Malaysia in Guwahati last month.
Gawli has been playing for Dempo since 2005 and was member of Churchill Brothers and East Bengal.
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Wim Koevermans unveiled as new Indian football coach - Jun 15, 2012
- Unceremoniously dropped, Climax retires from international football - Jan 31, 2012
- Climax to take call on his international career after SAFF Cup - Dec 08, 2011
- New football coach says follow Dempo style - Jun 15, 2011
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Playing against Bayern Munich was memorable: Bhaichung - Jan 10, 2012
- Coach Medeira conveys home truths to AIFF - Jan 08, 2012
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- Shah Rukh Khan to buy stake in I-League champions Dempo - Jun 01, 2012
- SRK eyes stake in I-League champions Dempo (Evening Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- India's football friendly with South Africa postponed - Dec 05, 2011
- Climax and Mahesh retired early, says Baichung - Feb 25, 2012
- Bhaichung Bhutia: A fairytale journey (Profile) - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: afc challenge cup, aiff, churchill brothers, decade, east bengal, farewell, football federation, games, goan, India, international career, international football, local club, match, nehru cup, New Delhi, retirement, saff championship