Maharashtra pack off Kerala in Santosh TrophyMay 31st, 2009 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 31 (IANS) Maharashtra defied the odds and packed off five times champions Kerala 1-0 with K. Sampathkumar scoring the match-winner in a pre-quarterfinal match of the 63rd National Football Championship for the Santosh Trophy at Coimbatore Sunday.
Also advancing to the quarter-final league were hosts Tamil Nadu who sustained their momentum for a 5-0 win against Haryana while Goa knocked out Mizoram 3-0 and Manipur steamed past the Indian Railways 3-1.
In the quarter-final league that commences Tuesday after a day’s break, Tamil Nadu and Manipur join defending champions Punjab and Bengal (Group A), while Goa and Haryana find themselves with last year’s runners-up Services and Karnataka.
Kerala, despite enjoying partisan support, yielded ground to a determined Maharashtra who did well to see off the early overtures.
With Kerala muffing chances in the first-half, Maharashtra gradually fought their way back into the game and applied pressure on resumption.
Skipper Steven Dias cut through on the right flank and centred leading to a melee and Sampathkumar was on hand to tuck the ball in for the only goal of the match.
In Tiruchirapally, Goa turned on the heat and as the score-line suggested, were a cut above Mizoram. A two-goal strike by Marcus Mascarenhas (58th, 63rd) highlighted the Goan victory with Joaquim Abranches (44th) scoring the other goal.
In Chennai, Tamil Nadu kept up their high-scoring spree in handing out a 5-0 drubbing to Haryana with skipper Kulothungan (18th), Muthu (28th and 78th) and Riju (48th and 81st) doing the honours at the finish.
Following their huge victories in the preliminary league when they scored 25 goals in three matches, Tamil Nadu played with confidence that was fairly apparent from their attacking style of play that did leave a door open for a counter-attack.
However, on the day, the hosts were on target almost every time they came within the striking range even as the Haryana defence capitulated under the ceaseless onslaughts.
A notable feature of Tamil Nadu’s performance Sunday was the functioning of their half-line with medio Prem Kumar enjoying a solid outing as he repeatedly prompted the forwards with a string of passes.
- Santosh Trophy: Kerala, Railways, Tamil Nadu, Mizoram advance - May 29, 2009
- Maharashtra dominate opening day of National sub-junior basketball - May 08, 2012
- Santosh Trophy to kick off Friday - May 10, 2012
- Big win for Goa in Santosh Trophy - May 29, 2009
- Kerala split points with Kashmir in junior hockey - Sep 04, 2012
- Junior Hockey: Punjab launch campaign in style - Sep 05, 2012
- Junior Hockey: Haryana, Punjab, Karnataka enter quarters - Sep 06, 2012
- Santosh Trophy: Tamil Nadu beat Manipur to reach semis - Jun 06, 2009
- National Games: Medals tally, Day 2 - Feb 15, 2011
- Delhi bow out of Santosh Trophy - May 26, 2009
- Santosh Trophy: Mizoram stun Kerala 1-0 - Jul 28, 2010
- Santosh Trophy: Bengal crush Mizoram 7-1, Delhi draw 1-1 - Aug 03, 2010
- Santosh Trophy: Tamil Nadu surprise Bengal 2-1, both in semis - Aug 05, 2010
- Manipur top medal tally with ten wushu gold (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- National Games: Services top medal tally with 37 golds - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: bengal, coimbatore, drubbing, flank, goa, haryana, indian railways, kerala, manipur, mascarenhas, national football championship, overtures, partisan support, punjab, quarterfinal match, resumption, santosh trophy, score line, striking range, target