Maharashtra Govt. to recommend Sachin’s name for ‘Bharat Ratna’April 5th, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 5 (ANI): Following Team India’s historic win in the 2011 World Cup, theMaharashtra Government is going to recommend to the Centre that batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar should be given the ‘Bharat Ratna’ in view of his outstanding contribution to the game of cricket.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today informed the Maharashtra Assembly that his government is going to recommend to the Centre that Tendulkar should be given the highest civilian award, in view of his outstanding contribution to the game of sport and also for winning the world cup title.
“Sachin is the pride of India and should be given the award,” said Chavan, adding that the state government would be sending an official recommendation to the Centre soon for the same.
Tendulkar, who has been granted the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, Padma Shri and Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India, is the leading run-scorer and century maker in Test and one-day international cricket. He is the only player to score a double century in the history of ODI cricket.
Tendulkar is the first and the only player in Test Cricket history to score fifty centuries, and the first to score fifty centuries in all international cricket combined; he now has 99 centuries in international cricket.
India scripted a glorious new chapter in their cricketing history on Saturday night by regaining the coveted Cricket World Cup after 28 years. The last World Cup victory for India came against the West Indies in 1983 at Lords in England.
In the nerve-wrecking summit clash of the 2011 edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup tournament at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, India beat Sri Lanka by six wickets.
With this win, India has become the first nation to win the World Cup on home soil. (ANI)
- BJP supports demand to confer 'Bharat Ratna' to Sachin - Apr 05, 2011
- Pandit Jasraj supports demand to confer 'Bharat Ratna' to Tendulkar - Apr 23, 2011
- Bharat Ratna for Sachin, recommends Maharashtra assembly - Apr 05, 2011
- Sachin deserves 'Bharat Ratna': Dhoni - Apr 06, 2011
- Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan Award - Apr 26, 2012
- Legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar becomes MP - Jun 05, 2012
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
- Maharashtra to recommend Bharat Ratna for Tendulkar - Feb 26, 2010
- Fan club felicitates Sachin with 4kg silver-gold trophy - Apr 13, 2011
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Home ministry backs Bharat Ratna for sportspersons - Jul 23, 2011
- Political leaders support Bharat Ratna demand for Sachin Tendulkar - Mar 03, 2010
- Congress MPs demand Bharat Ratna for Sachin Tendulkar - Dec 20, 2010
- Mumbai celebrates Tendulkar's 100th ton - Mar 16, 2012
- Sachin deserves Bharat Ratna: Dhoni - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: chief minister, cricket india, cricket world cup, double century, first nation, government of india, home soil, icc cricket world, icc cricket world cup, international cricket, khel ratna, maharashtra assembly, mumbai india, odi cricket, rajiv gandhi, sachin tendulkar, summit clash, test cricket history, wankhede stadium, world cup victory