Madison Keys surprises with her latest performanceApril 7th, 2009 - 11:24 pm ICT by GD
Fourteen-year-old Madison Keys made her WTA Tour debut a memorable one by beating Russia’s Alla Kudryavtseva (7-5, 6-4) on Monday in the opening round of The MPS Group Championships. The teenager from Boca Raton, fell behind 5-2 in the first set but recovered using powerful groundstrokes to defeat Kudryavtseva twice, and made a serve that averaged 101 mph to win the set.
Madison lost the first game of the second set before going on a four-game run, and after the 81st-ranked Kudryavtseva fought back to 4-5, Madison won the match surprising all.
An excited Madison said, ” I was nervous during the first two or three games. To begin with, it was just about hitting the ball and feeling it and really getting into a rhythm that made me feel a lot better.” When asked as to how she took to the game of tennis, Madison replied, “I actually got into tennis because of Venus and Serena (Williams).” The young girl expressed her deep fondness of the outfits of William sisters. “I told my dad that I wanted a dress like Venus’ and he said ‘only if you play tennis.’ So, I went to Walgreen’s, got a racket and started playing.” said Madison.
Keys is expected to face the tournament’s top seed and the world’s 9th-ranked player, Nadia Petrova, in the second round. Few other ranked players in the field are 12-ranked Caroline Wozniacki, 16-ranked Dominka Cibulkova (lost the last year’s final to Maria Sharapova), and 43rd-ranked Daniela Hantuchova.
- Olympic tennis: Serena Williams beats Zvonareva - Aug 01, 2012
- Pattaya Open: Sania in singles, doubles quarterfinals - Feb 09, 2012
- Clijsters upsets Ivanovic at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Wozniacki confident of getting fit before Australian Open - Jan 12, 2012
- Woznicaki scrapes past Hradecka in China Open - Oct 03, 2011
- Australian Open: Top seed Serena Williams to face Radwanska - Jan 15, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Woznicaki hopes to retain No.1 ranking till end of season - Oct 01, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Williams sisters win doubles gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Sania crashes out of Texas Open first round - Aug 23, 2011
- Nadal, Murray power through as rain fails to dampen US Open - Sep 04, 2010
- Rogers Cup: Sania, Paes, Bhupathi and Bopanna move up - Aug 10, 2012
- Wozniacki defends her World No.1 status despite absence of Grand Slam crown - Jan 22, 2011
- Brisbane Open: Hantuchova in finals after Clijster retires - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: alla kudryavtseva, boca raton, caroline wozniacki, daniela hantuchova, first game, fondness, maria sharapova, mps group, old madison, petrova, ranked player, ranked players, rhythm, serena williams, three games, venus and serena, venus and serena williams, walgreen, wta tour, young girl