Madame Tussauds an attraction in Beijing too (Olympic sidelights)August 15th, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 15 (IANS) Madame Tussauds Museum has its own unique charm. During the Games, wax figures of Chinese sport stars have been popular among visitors at the Shanghai Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. The wax museum displays replicas of well-known celebrities. It first opened in London in 1884 and to date has six branches around the world.
Madame Tussauds Shanghai is the first in China and has famous figures such as Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, David Beckham, Tom Cruise and Albert Einstein.
Athletes sport Olympic haircuts, tattoos
With thousands of athletes filling the Olympic village, each one tries to be different to be a cut above the rest.
Honduran taekwondo player Miguel Adrian Ferrera Rodriguez had the five Olympic rings and the three Korean characters for “taekwondo” tattooed on the inside of his right arm.
“I had it done as soon as I knew I’d qualified to compete in the Games,” the 26-year-old was quoted as saying in China Daily.
“If I win a medal I’ll get another tattoo on my left arm,” he joked.
A popular design among swimmers is that of a shark tattooed on the shoulder blade. Tussauds.
Sharpshooter Ned Gerard, who is representing the Virgin Islands at his first Olympics in Beijing, had the Olympic logo tattooed on his wrist.
“It’s good for motivation,” the 53-year-old said.
Others prefer to show their love for the Olympics through their hairstyles.
New Zealand swimmer Daniel Bell is one of many to have had the Olympic rings etched into his cropped hair.
“Right now it’s for my personal pleasure. If I win, I’ll throw off my cap and show it to the world,” he said.
“The Olympic emblem is the most popular hair design. We do about 10 of those every day,” village hair salon stylist Zhao Haigang said.
- Rihanna's Wax figure now graces Berlin - Aug 30, 2011
- Kate, William join the royals at Madame Tussauds - Apr 04, 2012
- Bradley Cooper wax statue at Madame Tussauds - Jul 20, 2011
- Hrithik to unveil his statue at Madame Tussauds Friday - Jan 10, 2011
- Madhuri unveils her wax statue in London - Mar 07, 2012
- Kareena unveiled at Tussauds - Oct 27, 2011
- Rihnana Honored At Madame Tussauds - Sep 02, 2010
- Hollywood Heartthrob Robert Pattinson Gets Wax Figure At Madame Tussauds - Nov 03, 2010
- Wax statue biggest honour: Kareena - Nov 11, 2011
- Madhuri Dixit to be immortalised in wax - Jan 05, 2012
- Madame Tussauds To Launch Eight Wax Statues Of Lady GaGa In Different Locations - Nov 08, 2010
- Hrithik unveils his wax figure at Madame Tussauds - Jan 21, 2011
- Madame Tussauds' tribute to Jackson - Jun 24, 2010
- Susan Boyle To Be Immortalized At Madame Tussauds - Aug 09, 2010
- Kim Kardashian to get wax statue at Madame Tussauds - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: albert einstein, chinese sport, clinton bill, cut above the rest, daniel bell, david beckham, korean characters, madame tussauds museum, madame tussauds shanghai, madame tussauds wax museum, olympic emblem, olympic logo, olympic rings, olympic village, personal pleasure, salon stylist, shoulder blade, sidelights, tussauds wax museum, wax figures