‘Madam Speedy’ looking for Olympic gloryJuly 12th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, July 12 (IANS) Tameka Williams, the sprinter from the tiny Caribbean islands of St. Kitts and Nevis, will travel to the London Olympic Games with hopes of making her homeland proud by winning a medal.
“I’ve been having a good season so far and aim to keep on running,” the 22-year-old was quoted as saying by Xinhua after a meet in the Spanish capital.
A runner who is not short of confidence, her belief in her own abilities is made clear by the name she uses on her ‘Twitter’ account Madam Speedy.
“I came up with the name. I’m speedy and I’m a madam, so I put them together and came up with ‘Madam Speedy’,” she joked.
Williams ran third in the 200 metres on a blustery and hard track, but after previously winning a 100-metre race in Russia she was optimistic about her chances in London.
“My hope at the Olympics is to make it to the finals, and if I can get there then what happens will happen, because anything is possible,” she said.
Williams will have two events to win a medal in London, though she has dropped long jump from her itinerary.
“I am doing the 100 and 200 metres. I am finished with the long jump and I am no longer doing it,” she said.
With a total area of just 261 sq km and a population of a little over 50,000, St. Kitts and Nevis is the smallest sovereign state in the Americas, but Williams is not the country’s only medal hope.
“We will have a men’s 4×100 team, which I am looking forward to seeing in the finals in London and I hope they can make it to the podium,” Williams said.
- St. Kitts sprinter Williams sent home after testing positive - Jul 29, 2012
- IOC bans Syrian hurdler for doping - Aug 11, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Russian cyclist Baranova expelled for doping - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Former world champ Kim Collins pulls out of sprint - Aug 04, 2012
- U.S. judoka expelled from Olympics for cannabis - Aug 06, 2012
- I thought I'd got away, says dope-tainted cyclist - Aug 04, 2012
- Bolt wins but disappointed by time - May 26, 2012
- Blake, James win Zurich Diamond League - Sep 09, 2011
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sprint legend Quarrie says team support boosted Jamaica - Aug 22, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt retains sprint titles, US overtakes China in medal tally (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Bucketful condoms in Olympic Village trigger probe (Olympic Diary) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Defar wins 5,000m gold again, eight years on - Aug 12, 2012
- Running in Olympics is like wining gold for Afghan girl - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: 4x100, belief, caribbean islands, confidence, itinerary, kitts and nevis, long jump, madam, madrid, metre race, olympic games, olympic glory, olympics, podium, russia, sovereign state, spanish capital, sprinter, st kitts and nevis, xinhua