Madagascar to send seven athletes to London OlympicsJuly 19th, 2012 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Antananarivo (Madagascar), July 19 (IANS) Seven athletes will represent Madagascar at the London Olympics, official from the island country’s Olympic Committee has said.
The president of Madagascar’s Olympic Committee, Siteny Andriasoloniaiko, told Xinhua in an interview Wednesday that Madagascar will participate in five disciplines - judo, weightlifting, wrestling, swimming and athletics.
“Only three of these Malagasy athletes - Soloniaina Josiane Patricia in women’s wrestling, Fetra Ratsimiziva in men’s judo and Nathalia Rakotondramanana in women’s weightlifting - qualified for the Games,” Andriasoloniaiko said.
However, Siteny Andriasoloniaiko said that Madagascar received two wild cards in swimming and two other wild cards in the athletics.
Andriasoloniaiko said that the delegation will leave Madagascar for London July 24.
It is the 12th time Madagascar is going to the Olympics.
- Preparation of national teams for London Olympics gets under way - Mar 16, 2011
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- List of Indian athletes at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Sports ministry allocates Rs 258.39 crore for Olympics preparation - Jun 09, 2011
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Uganda athletes undergo doping test ahead of Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Rudisha, Jelimo spearhead Kenyan challenge in Diamond League - Jul 03, 2012
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012