MacGill wants to play in IPLDecember 26th, 2011 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 26 (IANS) Former Australian spinner Stuart MacGill has nominated himself for the Indian Premier League (IPL) player auction in February, following his return to Twenty20 cricket after eight years.
MacGill, 40, is playing for Sydney Sixers in the ongoing Big Bash League (BBL) and was impressive in the team’s opening match against Brisbane Heat.
MacGill said he made a comeback as he wanted to test his fitness and hoped that the IPL franchises will show interest in him during the auction.
“I really don’t want to get too far ahead of myself here, but I am playing in the BBL because my kids thought I was getting old. I am proving to them that I can still cut it with the young blokes,” MacGill told reporters Monday.
MacGill said his decision to apply for IPL was made easier after he found his performance in the warm-up games at the Sydney University satisfactory.
“I just wanted to see if I could keep together physically and once I ticked that box I thought ‘hey, maybe it is worth my while’. Having played a couple of Twenty20 games now, I know I can do it. I don’t get too sore. I know I can run around enough. It is worth a go (IPL)”, said MacGill, who retired from all forms of cricket in 2008.
- MacGill returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Dec 02, 2011
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Stuart Macgill blasts Hilditch's Ashes selection - Dec 11, 2010
- Spinners will be India's trump card at World T20: MacGill - Sep 18, 2012
- Now Blake keen on playing in Australia's Big Bash - Aug 17, 2012
- Watson to play in Big Bash amid series against India - Jul 19, 2011
- MacGill favours Hauritz, says Beer clearly not the best spinner - Jan 06, 2011
- Beer's selection proves Hilditch has 'officially lost the plot': MacGill - Dec 11, 2010
- Bravo hopes to makes a splash in Big Bash - Dec 14, 2011
- Clark stands down from full-time cricket for administrative role - May 18, 2011
- Sending George to make debut in India is like 'not giving him a chance': McGill - Oct 12, 2010
- 8 Indians, 32 Australians, 30 South Africans for IPL-5 auction - Jan 30, 2012
- Narine signs with Sydney for Aussie T20 showpiece - Jul 22, 2012
- Oz media blasts MacGill for targeting George, selectors - Oct 13, 2010
- Preparation for Test series against India will be ideal: Ponting - Dec 17, 2011