MacGill endorses North for Ashes spinner’’s jobMarch 25th, 2009 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Mar.25 (ANI): Former Australian leg spinner Stuart MacGill has endorsed off-spinner Marcus North as the first-choice spinner against England and said specialist tweaker Bryce McGain was never in contention for the Ashes, even before his horrific debut against South Africa.
MacGill, who took 208 Test wickets for Australia, said he would stick with North given there was enough grunt in the pace attack.
“As a spin bowler, the reason I”m comfortable with having Marcus North as the No.1 spinner at this particular time is because we have some serious fast bowling stocks,” Fox Sports quoted MacGill, as saying.
“We”ve still got Brett Lee and Stuart Clark to come back into the squad, Doug Bollinger never got a start in South Africa and then you had Andrew McDonald.
“Hilfy (Ben Hilfenhaus) did a good job in South Africa but he could be struggling for the Ashes.
North, better known for his batting, was struck down with a virus before the third Test but finished with a combined 2-98 off 38 overs in the first two Tests.
McGain turns 37 Wednesday and, according to Shane Warne’’s mentor Terry Jenner, his Ashes hopes look dead in the water. (ANI)
- North, not Hauritz should be Australia's first-choice spinner: MacGill - Nov 07, 2010
- Krejza should be recalled for Ashes: Mark Waugh - Nov 14, 2010
- Oz media blasts MacGill for targeting George, selectors - Oct 13, 2010
- Sending George to make debut in India is like 'not giving him a chance': McGill - Oct 12, 2010
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain - Oct 14, 2009
- Australian spinners fail to get confidence vote from colleagues - Dec 23, 2009
- Spinners will be India's trump card at World T20: MacGill - Sep 18, 2012
- Not playing McGain a blunder, says Warne - Mar 01, 2009
- MacGill returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Dec 02, 2011
- Stuart Macgill blasts Hilditch's Ashes selection - Dec 11, 2010
- Lyon becomes international off-spinner from a groundsman - Jul 26, 2011
- McGain hopes to make it to Ashes squad - May 18, 2009
- MacGill calls on Oz selectors to pick McGain - Mar 18, 2009
- MacGill wants to play in IPL - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: andrew mcdonald, australian leg, bollinger, bowling, brett lee, bryce, contention, dead in the water, debut, first choice, fox sports, good job, mentor, pace attack, shane warne, south africa, stocks, stuart macgill, test wickets, third test