MacGill calls on Oz selectors to pick McGainMarch 18th, 2009 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Mar.18 (ANI): Former Australian leg spinner Stuart MacGill has called on the selectors to include Victorian spinner Bryce McGain in the squad for the third Test against South Africa, claiming it’’s a mistake for Australia to be relying on part-time spinners at the expense of a specialist.
McGain, 37, is yet to play a Test but MacGill believes the Victorian’’s advanced years would ensure a successful debut.
Kingsmead, the venue for the third Test, starting tomorrow, offers the most spin-friendly conditions in South Africa.
“I am a massive fan of bowlers and cricketers who know their own game,” MacGill told the Herald last night.
“History is littered with talented guys who doubt themselves when they are put under the spotlight. That’’s the beauty of making your debut when you are a little older than most. I may have been desperate to play state cricket as a 20-year-old, but the fact that I had to wait until I was 26 before I got a regular game meant that I was prepared to put up with a bad day. Bryce McGain is in exactly the same boat. If we need a spinner who can consistently offer his best, and continue to do ”his thing” despite what the batsman is doing, then he is unquestionably the guy, he added.
Meanwhile, Adam Voges has conceded that he might never again be selected for his country after choosing to attend his wedding rather than play for Australia in their limited-overs tour of South Africa.
Voges, who was picked in the 16-man touring party, made plans with his fiancee Kristy more than a year ago to get married in Perth on April 5. (ANI)
- Oz media blasts MacGill for targeting George, selectors - Oct 13, 2010
- MacGill returns to cricket with Big Bash League - Dec 02, 2011
- Sending George to make debut in India is like 'not giving him a chance': McGill - Oct 12, 2010
- MacGill wants to play in IPL - Dec 26, 2011
- McGain hopes to make it to Ashes squad - May 18, 2009
- MacGill endorses North for Ashes spinner''s job - Mar 25, 2009
- MacGill favours Hauritz, says Beer clearly not the best spinner - Jan 06, 2011
- Australian spinner McGain misses flight to South Africa - Feb 18, 2009
- Spinners will be India's trump card at World T20: MacGill - Sep 18, 2012
- All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain - Oct 14, 2009
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Stuart Macgill blasts Hilditch's Ashes selection - Dec 11, 2010
- Axeing of Katich is unfathomable: McGain - Jun 16, 2011
- Australian spinners fail to get confidence vote from colleagues - Dec 23, 2009
- Moody confident Hauritz will play in first Ashes Test - Jun 11, 2009
Tags: adam voges, australian leg, bad day, batsman, bowlers, bryce, cricket, cricketers, debut, fiancee kristy, limited overs, massive fan, part time, perth, selectors, south africa, spinners, stuart macgill, third test, venue