Lukashenko denied accreditation to Olympics: BritainJuly 26th, 2012 - 2:55 am ICT by IANS
London, July 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Accreditation to the London 2012 Olympic Games has not been granted to Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, the British Embassy in Belarus has confirmed.
“President Alexander Lukashenko is on a list of people whose entry to the European Union is banned,” an embassy spokesperson said Wednesday. “This ban will be in force during the Olympics. There will be no change in this decision.”
Lukashenko is on a list of Belarusian officials banned from Europe “because of breach of international standards during the presidential elections in December 2010,” he said.
Earlier, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the organisers of the 2012 London Games Wednesday denied having banned Belarus president from attending the Olympics.
The Olympics start in London Friday, July 27, and will last until Aug 12.
The EU announced a visa ban and asset freeze on Lukashenko and almost 160 of his officials in January 2011, following disputed presidential elections.
Lukashenko stayed in power after the disputed December 2010 elections. The Belarusian government crushed subsequent protests against the results and arrested many opposition figures.
- IOC, London organisers deny banning Belarus president - Jul 25, 2012
- IOC respects Lukashenko ban: Rogge - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Belarus denies boycott rumours - Jul 27, 2012
- Belarusian police cordon off Minsk central square to quell protest - Jun 16, 2011
- Belarusian President warns action against protesters - Jun 15, 2011
- Belarus embassy wraps up in Sweden - Aug 11, 2012
- Belarus calls off nuclear fuel swap programme with US - Aug 19, 2011
- Russian human rights activist detained in Minsk - Apr 29, 2011
- EU to work with Belarusian minister despite sanctions - Aug 21, 2012
- 11 dead in Minsk metro blast: Belarus president (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Obama urges more pressure on Belarus' Lukashenko - May 29, 2011
- US to expand sanctions against Belarus: Obama - May 28, 2011
- Suspended sentences for Belarus opposition activists - May 21, 2011
- Belarus urged to release political prisoners - Dec 19, 2011
- Five opposition protesters sentenced to jail in Belarus - May 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,