Low expects defensive Greece in quartersJune 18th, 2012 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Germany coach Joachim Low said he expects the Greeks to play as defensively as Denmark in their Euro 2012 quarter-final.
Low criticised Denmark for playing “like a handball team” in Germany’s 2-1 victory in Lviv Sunday, when the Germans sealed their passage to the knockout stage.
“Greece will be similar, they will try and take the pace out of the game,” Low said. “The Greeks had three chances, or four chances, and scored three goals. They are the masters of efficiency,” he added.
Greece shocked group leaders Russia 1-0 on Friday to overtake them and qualify for the quarterfinals.
“No one expected that the Greeks would have made it,” Low said.
Lukas Podolski, winning his 100th cap, scored the opener against Denmark on 19 minutes, slamming home from six yards out after Muller’s low cross from the right was missed by Gomez.
Denmark equalised on 24 minutes through Michael Krohn-Dehli, who leapt above Mats Hummels to redirect a Nicklas Bendter header into the net from close range.
Germany ended their group stage campaign with three wins out of three, having toppled Portugal 1-0 and the Netherlands 2-1.
- Germans lacked killer instinct: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Great day for me, says German debutant Lars Bender - Jun 18, 2012
- Leading scorers at Euro 2012 - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Krohn-Dehli strikes as Denmark shocks Netherlands - Jun 10, 2012
- Denmark defeat was like a bad movie: Robben - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Coach Olsen laments 'unlucky' Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Memory of 1992 motivates Denmark - Jun 01, 2012
- We were disciplined for brutal Euro 2012 opener: Loew - Jun 10, 2012
- Champions League defeat a thing of past: Thomas Muller - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: close range, criticised, dehli, denmark, efficiency, euro 2012, germans, gomez, greeks, group leaders, group stage, handball team, joachim low, knockout stage, krohn, podolski, quarterfinals, quarters, ria novosti, three chances