Loudest grunter at Wimbledon insists she is not a cheatJune 22nd, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 22 (ANI): The row over Wimbledon’s grunting girls is getting louder, but the loudest offender insisted that she is not a cheat.
“I am not a cheat. They are part of my strokes,” insists Portuguese Michelle Larcher de Brito, 16, whose 109-decibel blast is same as an F1 car.
“I’ve always been loud but I’m not trying to distract opponents. When I don’t grunt it feels weird because it’s not me,” The Sun quoted her, as saying.
The Williams sisters - Venus and Serena — have had their grunts recorded at 90 decibels, while Maria Sharapova gives a 103-decibel squeal.
Ex-Wimbledon champ Michael Stich stirred the controversy yesterday by saying women were there for “selling sex” on court and grunting was “unsexy”.
Earlier, Tennis legend Martina Navratilova, who won 18 grand slam titles, had called grunting female players cheats, and asked that something to be done to end the noise on court.
Navratilova used the presentation of an award for her service to the game to air her grievances to tennis leaders.
“Roger Federer doesn’t make a noise when he hits the ball — go and listen. The grunting has reached an unacceptable level. It is cheating, pure and simple. It is time for something to be done,” The Times quoted Navratilova, as saying.
The two-time French Open champion did not name any offenders. But the paper reported the assault on eardrums at the French Open this year was being led by Michelle Larcher De Brito, Victoria Azarenka, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.
Navratilova said: “I remember how it was when Monica (Seles) and I were competitors and she began to grunt. I couldn’t hear the ball. I thought to myself, ‘Do I mention it to the umpire, do I say something to her? What should I do?’ And Monica was a friend. I had to say something in the end.”
The grunting dispute with Seles began in 1992, with Navratilova complaining there was more to it than merely irritating the opposition. (ANI)
- Navratilova terms grunting players cheats - Jun 04, 2009
- Sharapova claims grunting title during Round One at Wimbledon from de Brito! - Jun 23, 2009
- Williams pumps up the volume with pre-Wimbledon rock outing - Jun 20, 2010
- Evert concerned about grunting women tennis players - Jun 29, 2009
- Reports on Istanbul wedding false: Sharapova - Aug 05, 2012
- Murray thought someone was giving birth when Venus Williams was playing - Jan 20, 2011
- Wimbledon girls are there to sell sex: former champion - Jun 21, 2009
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Serena 'satisfied' with revenge for 2004 Wimbledon title loss against Sharapova - Jun 29, 2010
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Clijsters upsets Ivanovic at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: decibels, eardrums, french open, french open champion, grand slam titles, grunts, larcher de brito, maria sharapova, martina navratilova, michael stich, michelle larcher de brito, monica seles, roger federer, serena williams, squeal, tennis legend, unacceptable level, venus and serena, victoria azarenka, williams sisters