Loss in second close game devastating: HopkinsSeptember 21st, 2011 - 2:00 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 21 (IANS) Gareth Hopkins, losing captain of the Auckland Aces who were eliminated from the Champions League Twenty20 after they went down to Somerset here Tuesday, termed the loss as “devastating”.
The Auckland team lost to Somerset by four wickets in a thrilling last-ball finish in a Pool B qualifying match at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium here.
Opting to bat first, Auckland Aces riding on Lou Vincent’s unbeaten 47 made 125. Somerset achieved the target in the last ball after James Hildreth made 34 while Steve Snell remained unbeaten on 34.
“The loss in the second close game is devastating. This is the second successive defeat in the last over of the game. And it was very disappointing. 126 runs were not enough and our batsmen struggled,” Hopkins said.
Somerset skipper Alfonso Thomas praised the crucial 61-run partnership between Hildreth and Snell that took Somerset home to a thrilling win.
Thomas, who took a single off the last ball to give the team a win, said the team was looking forward to the match against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).
“We are happy with this victory, and are looking forward to KKR match. We are not scared of KKR even though they have world class players. I don’t think we can be intimidated by KKR. We will go into the game as underdogs,” Thomas said.
- Somerset eliminate Auckland Aces from CLT20 - Sep 21, 2011
- CL T20 qualifier: Auckland Aces to bat against Somerset - Sep 20, 2011
- Gambhir back, KKR to bat against Somerset - Sep 25, 2011
- Somerset beat Deccan Chargers in a thrilling match - Oct 11, 2009
- We can win tournament: Somerset captain - Sep 26, 2011
- Thomas pulls it off for Somerset in last-ball - Oct 11, 2009
- CL T20 qualifier: KKR to bat against Auckland Aces - Sep 19, 2011
- It was a great win: Kallis - Sep 20, 2011
- CLT20 qualifying round begins Monday - Sep 18, 2011
- Mumbai Indians to bat against Somerset - Oct 08, 2011
- Somerset tame Warriors to enter CLT20 semis - Oct 05, 2011
- RCB's Gayle storm blows away Somerset in must-win tie - Oct 04, 2011
- CL T20 Scoreboard: Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Somerset - Sep 26, 2011
- Malinga strikes put Mumbai Indians in CLT 20 final - Oct 09, 2011
- Leicestershire, Somerset complete Champions League line-up - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: auckland aces, champions league, four wickets, game, hyderabad, james hildreth, kkr, knight riders, lou vincent, match, partnership, pool, rajiv gandhi international stadium, skipper, somerset, steve snell, target, underdogs, victory