Lord’s cricket museum to house Afridi’s ‘World Cup winning’ shirtJuly 28th, 2009 - 1:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 28 (ANI): Flamboyant Pakistan cricketer Shahid Afridi’s match winning knock in the final of the ICC World Twenty20 Championship in Lord’s last month has earned him a reward that he would cherish for the rest of his life.The Lord’s cricket museum has decided to preserve the shirt worn by him in the T20 final against Sri Lanka, The News reports.
Afridi scored 54 of just 40 balls and then took 1for 20 to help his side register a historic win in the final by six wickets.
He is the first Pakistani cricketer to receive such an honour.
The museum has some of the rarest articles used by some famous cricketers of the world. A sparrow which was killed by a stroke of the bat from Jahangir Khan, father of former Pakistan captain Majid Khan, has also been preserved in the museum.
The Lord’s cricket museum, commonly known as MCC Museum, is the world’s oldest sporting museum. While it contains a wide range of exhibits, it is best-known for being the home of The Ashes. (ANI)
- Afridi's World Twenty20 final jersey at MCC - Jul 28, 2009
- Ganguly to lead MCC side against Pakistan - Jun 10, 2010
- Dhoni has an advantage over Afridi as captain: Imran - Mar 26, 2011
- Afridi takes "sound advice" from Imran, Wasim for successful World Cup campaign - Feb 12, 2011
- Afridi urges Zardari to save Pakistani cricket - Jun 01, 2011
- Shahid Afridi rules out returning to Test cricket - Apr 09, 2011
- Misbah replaces Afridi for Ireland ODI series - May 19, 2011
- Afridi finds it "really difficult to prosper under the current ICC ranking system" - Apr 28, 2011
- Afridi "not worried" about losing Pakistan captaincy - Jan 19, 2011
- Contenders Afridi, Misbah have "no issues" over Pak captaincy for World Cup 2011 - Feb 03, 2011
- Afridi warns World Cup teams not to underestimate "hungry" Pak in tournament - Feb 12, 2011
- Afridi bats for day-night Test cricket - Jun 11, 2010
- It will be India's batting vs Pakistan's bowling (Preview) - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan looking to blood youngsters in T20 team - Jul 18, 2011
- Rare cricket memorabilia on sale in London - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: balls, captain majid, cricket, exhibits, famous cricketers, honour, icc world twenty20, jahangir khan, london, majid khan, news reports, pakistan captain, pakistani cricketer, shahid afridi, sparrow, sri lanka, stroke, t20, wickets, world cup