London Paralympics Games organisers launch short filmAugust 27th, 2010 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 27 (IANS) With two years to go for the London Paralympics, the organisers marked the occasion by launching a short film featuring one of the UK’s most successful Paralympians, Tanni Grey-Thompson.
Grey-Thompson has enjoyed incredible success over the course of her career, winning 11 Paralympic gold medals and the London wheelchair marathon six times.
Aug 29 marks two years to go until the start of the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
The Olympic Games will run from July 27 until Aug 12, 2012. The Paralympic Games will be held from Aug 29 to Sep 9.
It will be a particularly special moment for Britain, as the country that hosted the first Paralympics in 1948, putting disability sport on the map.
In terms of size, scale and organisational complexity, the Paralympic Games are the world’s second biggest sporting event, involving 4,000 athletes from 150 countries competing in 470 events over 11 days.
This time, the UK has set out to host the most accessible Olympic and Paralympic Games ever. And is determined to use the 2012 Games to help change the way the world views disability and encourage a more open and inclusive society.
Delivering a highly accessible event with world-class facilities for disabled people is just part of that commitment.
Meanwhile, the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (LOCOG) is also marking two years to go until the 2012 Paralympics Games. Chris Holmes, LOCOG’s Director for Paralympic Integration and Britain’s most successful individual Paralympic Swimmer, will be at the Team GB Paralympic training camp in Bath today to check on the progress of a number of medal hopefuls.
The Paralympic Mascot Mandeville will also be in attendance as the countdown to the 2012 Paralympics continues.
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- London 2012 on time and within budget - Jun 14, 2012
- London 2012 ticket resale from Jan 6 - Dec 15, 2011
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- Paralympic flame lit - Aug 29, 2012
- School children create largest human London 2012 Logo - Apr 25, 2012
- British PM brings sports icons like Coe to India - Jul 26, 2010
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- London Olympics organisers and BOA embroiled in cash row - Mar 10, 2011
- We want to maximise benefits from Olympic Games: Cameron - Jan 10, 2012
- Medals for London Olympics unveiled - Jul 28, 2011
- London Olympics uniforms unveiled - Nov 23, 2011
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
Tags: chris holmes, disability sport, disabled people, film london, gold medals, locog, london 2012, medal hopefuls, olympic games, organising committee, paralympians, paralympic games, paralympic mascot, paralympics, paralympics games, special moment, team gb, wheelchair marathon, winning 11, world views disability