London museum buys Mick Jagger’’s original tongue and lips logoSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 1:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 2 (ANI): The Victoria and Albert Museum has bought the original design of The Rolling Stones” tongue and lips logo, based on lead singer Sir Mick Jagger’’s famous pout, at an auction.
The popular image was first seen on the Stones” Sticky Fingers album and has since been used by the band continuously.
Paying 51,000 dollars at auction in the United States, the museum has now become the legal owner of the iconic pop-art image.
The logo was created by student John Pasche in 1970 and will now form part of the permanent collection of the V&A, the world’’s largest museum of decorative arts and design.
“The Rolling Stones” Tongue is one of the first examples of a group using branding and it has become arguably the world’’s most famous rock logo, the Telegraph quoted Victoria Broakes, head of exhibitions, V&A Theatre and Performance Collections, as saying.
She added: “We are delighted to have acquired the original artwork, especially as it was designed at the Royal College of Art right here in South Kensington by a student who used to visit the V&A’’s collections for inspiration.
“We are very grateful for the Art Fund’’s support in helping us acquire this exciting addition to our collections.”
Fifty percent of the cost of the piece was give by the Art FundUK’’s independent art charity.
David Barrie, director of the Art Fund, said: “This iconic logo, first used on the Stones” Sticky Fingers album, is one of the most visually dynamic and innovative logos ever created.
“Designed in the UK by a British artist for one of the country’’s most successful groups of all time, it’’s wonderful that it has now found a permanent home in London, where the band was originally formed.” (ANI)
- New logo for Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary - Jun 29, 2012
- Roller coaster year for Indian art (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Winehouse's 'Back To Black' dress on auction - Nov 10, 2011
- Victoria and Albert Museum gets new director - May 18, 2011
- 'Saturday Night Fever' suit found - Aug 07, 2012
- Amy Winehouse's dress sold for £43,200 - Nov 30, 2011
- Today is Mick Jagger's birthday - Jul 26, 2011
- Microsoft redesigns Windows logo - Feb 18, 2012
- Little Chinese bowl fetches $2.5 mn! - Jun 09, 2012
- Diego Rivera sketches undergo restoration - Mar 02, 2012
- London's V&A; Museum showcases Tagore, Kalighat paintings - Oct 18, 2011
- Chicago Art Institute revives its India link - Jan 21, 2011
- California's Norton Simon Museum exhibiting Vishnu and other Hindu sculptures - Apr 23, 2011
- Osama replaces Kalighat myths in Bengal 'pata chitra' - Aug 17, 2010
- India inspired design on sale at Sotheby's - Feb 14, 2012