London Heathrow airport unveils Olympic terminalApril 5th, 2012 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 5 (IANS) Heathrow airport unveiled a new temporary terminal to cater to athletes and officials involved with London Olympics 2012.
The terminal has been built solely for “Games Family” departures, and will be used for the three days after the closing ceremony Aug 12.
Construction of the terminal - which is roughly the size of three Olympic swimming pools - began in February in an area currently used for staff car parking on the south side of the airport, Xinhua reported.
No flights will leave from the terminal, so athletes will be bussed to departure lounges.
With 31 check-in desks and seven security lanes, athletes will take just 30 minutes to pass through the facility, according to BAA director for London 2012 Andy Garner.
Many will also be able to check in their luggage at the Olympic Village, ahead of arriving at the airport.
Heathrow says June 27 to Oct 1 will be its critical period - allowing time either side of the start of the Olympics and the end of the later Paralympic Games.
On its busiest expected days - July 26 and Aug 13 - it predicted passenger levels would increase from an estimated 95,000 on a usual day by 45 percent to 138,000.
Heathrow is expecting a 35 percent increase in baggage July 26 and Aug 13, with around 15 percent of the 200,000 items expected on those days likely to be oversized luggage such as sporting equipment.
- Helsinki Airport's new check-in and baggage facilities increase luggage capabilities by 43 percent - May 10, 2010
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- British border force threaten strike - Jul 21, 2012
- Work shortage hits London airport - Feb 26, 2012
- Big freeze: Christmas travel plans in chaos - Dec 18, 2010
- Strikes at British airports averted - Aug 17, 2010
- Air India to operate from Heathrow Airport's new terminal - May 23, 2011
- For NRIs, India has now arrived (Comment) - Jul 18, 2010
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Chaos at Delhi airport's T-3 as IT systems fail (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Metro starts check-in for international flyers - Feb 23, 2012
- Flights delayed at Delhi as T3 has blackout - Aug 07, 2011
- Heathrow Airport Might Resume Flight Operations On Limited Basis - Dec 20, 2010
- Shillong airport's new terminal opens Saturday - Jun 22, 2011
- Fake Olympic goods seized in Britain - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: airport heathrow, andy garner, baa director, car parking, closing ceremony, critical period, departure lounges, departures, heathrow airport, london 2012, london heathrow airport, london olympics 2012, olympic swimming, olympic terminal, olympic village, paralympic games, sporting equipment, staff car, swimming pools, xinhua