London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic FlameMarch 19th, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 19 (IANS) The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) Monday confirmed the route for over 7,300 people who will be carrying the Olympic Flame as torchbearers in the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay.
The torchbearers announced Monday include those that were successful through the public nomination processes run by LOCOG and the Presenting Partners. Each torchbearer had also confirmed the details of what day and in which community they will be carrying the flame. The remaining torchbearers will be confirmed over the coming months, Xinhua reported.
The 70-day trip is scheduled to start May 19. An average of 115 torchbearers a day will carry the Olympic Flame during its 8,000-mile journey around the UK before it arrives at the Olympic Stadium July 27 for the lighting of the cauldron at the opening ceremony, signifying the official start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The flame will travel through over 1,000 communities as its travels round the UK and will be transported by a variety of different methods of transport, including by boat, cable car, hot air balloon, bicycle, motorbike and horseback.
Sebastian Coe, Chairman of LOCOG said: “Today we bring the Olympic Torch Relay to life, with thousands of inspirational people from all over the UK being confirmed as torchbearers. We hope local communities come out and line the streets to cheer on the torchbearers, and celebrate the Olympic Games coming to the UK.”
Details of the Olympic Flame’s visit to Dublin, Ireland on the morning of June 6 were unveiled. Torchbearers for Dublin will be confirmed in the coming month.
Also unveiled Monday is the uniform that will be worn by the total 8,000 torchbearers. The primary colour is white with gold shards accenting the energy of the Olympic Flame at the shoulder and neckline. Multiple gold shards are used at the elbow to focus the eye on the arm, with a final shard continuing down to the cuff and the hand holding the torch.
The Torch Relay crew and Torch Security team will also have a uniform each that will be put through their paces as part of the Dress Rehearsal test event April 20.
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- London Olympics uniforms unveiled - Nov 23, 2011
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympic games, boat cable, dublin ireland, hot air balloon, locog, london 2012 olympic games, london march, methods of transport, mile journey, nomination processes, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic stadium, olympic torch relay, organising committee, paralympic games, sebastian coe, torchbearer, torchbearers, uk details