London 2012 Olympics mascots unveiledMay 20th, 2010 - 2:12 am ICT by IANS
London, May 20 (IANS) Organisers of the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics Wednesday unveiled the one-eyed mascots - Wenlock and Mandeville - saying they will be a big hit among children and young people.
The two animations were created from two drops of steel from a factory in Bolton, and have a single central eye, explained as a camera lens.
Wenlock is named after the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock where, in the 19th century, the Wenlock Games became one of the inspirations for the modern Olympic movement, while Mandeville’s name is derived from Stoke Mandeville, in Buckinghamshire, home to Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Daily Mail reported.
In the 1940s, Dr Ludwig Guttman came to the hospital to set up a new spinal unit to help former soldiers suffering from spinal cord injuries.
The London 2012 Olympics organisers introduced the mascots Wednesday, and predicted they will be a big hit with children and help inspire young people to get involved in Olympic sports.
Kids don’t want cuddly toys as mascots and prefer “something they can interact with and something with a good story behind it”, organising committee chairman Sebastian Coe was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
- London 2012 Olympic Games' 'single giant eye' mascot design ridiculed - May 20, 2010
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Thought for food (Olympic diary) - Aug 03, 2012
- Paralympic flame lit - Aug 29, 2012
- Chinese work 16 hours a day to make Olympic toys - Jul 25, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- Mayor praises Paralympic Village - Aug 26, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Most London Olympics souvenirs made abroad - Nov 12, 2010
- Chinese kids making badges for London Olympics: Report - Feb 26, 2012
- Over six in ten London Olympics souvenirs being made in China - Nov 12, 2010
- Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns over security of London 2012 - Dec 10, 2011
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: 1940s, 2012 olympics, camera lens, cuddly toys, daily mail, former soldiers, guttman, inspirations, london 2012 olympics, mandeville, much wenlock, olympic movement, olympic sports, olympics mascots, organisers, paralympics, sebastian coe, spinal cord, spinal cord injuries, xinhua