Lokomotiv lacked spirit: BilicJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:38 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Recently appointed Lokomotiv Moscow coach Slaven Bilic said Wednesday the team’s weak character was to blame for the poor results at the end of the last season.
Lokomotiv finished seventh in the league in 2011-12 and failed to qualify for European competition, suffering five defeats and three draws in their last eight games.
In May the club announced that Portuguese coach Jose Couceiro will not have his contract renewed and was to be replaced by Bilic, who signed a three-year deal with Lokomotiv.
“My players are very talented, I see it,” Bilic was quoted as saying to the club website. “But we can fulfil our potential only by our character.”
“That’s what has been missing over the past six months.”
“I want my character and the character of my assistants to be transmitted to players as well.”
Before taking over at Lokomotiv, Bilic, 43, lead Croatia to finishing third in Euro 2012 Group C behind finalists Spain and Italy.
Bilic coached Croat champions Hadjuk Split before being appointed to the national post in 2006.
Before that, he had a successful playing career as a defender with German Bundesliga side Karlsruher and English teams West Ham United and Everton.
- Lokomotiv Moscow release Stanislav Ivanov - Jul 11, 2012
- Copenhagen release N'Doye to Lokomotiv - Jul 25, 2012
- Corluka joins Lokomotiv Moscow - Jun 27, 2012
- Corluka's health woes solvable: Lokomotiv coach - Sep 19, 2012
- Russia feared at Euro 2012: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 08, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy won't cramp Croatia's attacking style, says Bilic - Jun 14, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last-gasp Navas goal sends Spain through, Croatia out - Jun 19, 2012
- Kranjcar to leave Spurs for Dynamo Kiev - Jun 06, 2012
- 200 football fans detained in Moscow - Jun 19, 2011
- Di Matteo appointed permanent Chelsea coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Petrescu confirmed as Dynamo coach - Aug 17, 2012
- Rubin extends contract with Sharonov - Aug 19, 2012
- Russia to decide on new coach soon: Sports minister - Jul 05, 2012
- Oldest Zenit fan dies at 103 - Sep 10, 2012