Lok Sabha trust vote will take place from 7 p.m.July 22nd, 2008 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , July 22 (ANI): All party meeting called by Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee has decided that the confidence motion will take place from 7 p.m.
After the Bharatiya Janata Party charged the Samajadi Party of bribing it by producing wads of cash during a debate in the Lok Sabha on the trust vote, proceedings adjourned till 6 p.m.
According to latest reports, there will be no more debates in the House and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would reply to the motion of confidence at 6 and thereafter voting will take place.
Earlier, proceedings in the Lower House were brought to a complete standstill and mikes were switched off, as pandemonium reigned in the wake of the disclosure of the bribe.
The live coverage of the Lok Sabha was momentarily stopped.
Treasury and Opposition members traded charges and counter-charges, and it is understood that voting on the UPA Governments confidence motion will be delayed, and may not start at the scheduled time of 6 p.m. It was also being rumoured that the voting may not be held at all today, and could be postponed till Wednesday.
Talking to media persons outside Parliament, Leader of Opposition L.K. Advani confirmed that three BJP MPs two from Madhya Pradesh and one from Rajasthan, had informed him of the alleged cash transaction or buyout.
He said that the BJP MPs from Madhya Pradesh were (1) Ashok Chhaviram Argal, 39, representing the Morena (SC) constituency, (2) Faggan Singh Kulaste, 48, representing the Mandla (ST) constituency and the third was Mahaveer Bhagora, 61, representing the Salumber (SC) constituency in Rajasthan.
Advani said that these three MPs had alleged that they had been offered around Rs.1 crore in advance and they were told that the balance amount of Rupees nine crores after they had abstained from the voting process.
Advani further went on to say that these MPs approached one of the television channels to conduct a sting operation during the process of transaction
Advani refused to reveal the identity of the person behind the transaction, saying that he would reveal it on the floor of the House.
Reacting to the charge, Railway Minister and Rashtriya Janata Dal leader Lalu Yadav said: The money belongs to the BJP. He demanded that a narco analysis test be conducted on all three parliamentarians.
Minister of State in the Prime Ministers Office, Prithviraj Chavan, said that an all-party meeting has been convened to discuss this latest charge, while the Deputy Leader of the RJD in the Lok Sabha, Devendra Prasad Yadav said that the matter should be thoroughly investigated before any final conclusions were drawn.
BJP President Rajnath Singh said this episode has shamed the prestige and importance of the parliament system in India , and replying to a question, said that if the Speaker wanted to extend the duration of this special session, the BJP and the NDA is ready for it.
CPI-M leader Brinda Karat said: This incident is a blot on the parliamentary system in India , and this indicates how low this government can go to stay in power. (ANI)
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- BJP moves privilege notice against PM in cash-for-vote scam - Mar 22, 2011
- Advani still fighting trust vote in his mind: Congress - Aug 08, 2012
- BJP MPs claim Samajwadi Party bribed them - Jul 22, 2008
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Advani's adjournment motion on black money defeated - Dec 14, 2011
- Bribery issue will be investigated, says Somnath Chatterjee - Jul 22, 2008
- Go Manmohan, says opposition after WikiLeaks expose (Intro-Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
- Stormy start to parliament, 8 Congress MPs suspended (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2012
- BJP adjournment motion on Assam violence rejected - Aug 08, 2012
- Cash-for-votes case: Amar Singh, five others chargesheeted - Aug 24, 2011
- Advani, Jaitley meet Kulkarni, ex-MPs in Tihar - Sep 28, 2011
- No bribery during 2008 trust vote, says PM - Mar 23, 2011
- NDA to back Left in parliament over price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- PM to make statement on Wiki expose, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: argal, bharatiya janata party, cash transaction, confidence motion, crores, l k advmanmohan singh, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, madhya pradesh, mandla, manmohan, media persons, opposition members, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, somnath chatterjee, sting operation, television channels, trust vote